Western Animation: Sports Cartoons
Sports Cartoons was a Canadian Animated Series produced by Derek Lamb and Janet Perlman's Lamb-Perlman Productions in 1985. The series featured various sports being played by anthropomorphic animals. Professional sports such as ice hockey, football, soccer, curling, clay target shooting, and boxing were depicted. Some segments involved games like table tennis, darts, and chess. A few even featured Olympic events such as gymnastics and the shotput.Four basic characters were used throughout the shorts: a hippo, a cat, a pig, and a dog. The hippo was usually the protagonist who was quite gentle and friendly, the cat was always the antagonist, the pig was another protagonist who usually triumphed through dumb luck, and the dog was usually a referee or judge - though on some occasions he would be a player in the sports and games.Roughly 45 cartoons were made, ranging from 40 seconds to around 2 minutes, and would frequently run as filler segments on Nickelodeon during the late 1980s through the mid-1990s (with the "Darts" cartoon airing until around 2000).
- Berserk Button: The hippo was normally gentle. But if something innoccent was threatened (like a butterfly or flower), he would go crazy.
- The Brute: The bigger, stronger, and meaner version of the Cat that appeared in some shorts.
- Cats Are Mean: Taken Up to Eleven with the Cat!
- Cheaters Never Prosper
- David Versus Goliath: Frequently occurred when the protagonist, usually the pig(s), against the Big Cat.
- Evil Laugh/Evil Gloating: The Cat would always do one of these.
- Gentle Giant: The hippo.
- Jerk With The Heart Of A Jerk: The Cat. The Cat would not only cheat in the various games/sports he participated in, but also would taunt his opponent. Needless to say, he was also a very sore loser.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch/Laser-Guided Karma: What always happened to the Cat at the end of the short.
- Look Behind You: The Cat uses this trick against the Hippo during a chess match to cheat. When the Hippo tries to warn the Cat, it doesn't work...and the Cat literally ends up with egg on his face.
- Something Completely Different: Both in and out of universe. One cartoon featured two teams of giant blue cats facing off in a professional hockey match (with the dog as the referee, and the hippo and pig nowhere to be found). However, instead of playing a hockey game like they were supposed to, the cats all engage in an ice dancing ballet - much to the dog's confusion and the audience's disgust.
- The Olympics: Some shorts would have the characters in Olympic style events such as the shotput, the discus, pole vaulting, and gymnastics.