Western Animation: Sports Cartoons
Sports Cartoons was a Canadian Animated Series
produced by Derek Lamb and Janet Perlman's Lamb-Perlman Productions in 1985. The series featured various sports being played by anthropomorphic animals
. Professional sports such as ice hockey, football, soccer, curling, clay target shooting, and boxing were depicted. Some segments involved games like table tennis, darts, and chess. A few even featured Olympic events such as gymnastics and the shotput.
Four basic characters were used throughout the shorts: a hippo, a cat, a pig, and a dog. The hippo was usually the protagonist who was quite gentle and friendly
, the cat was always the antagonist
, the pig was another protagonist who usually triumphed through dumb luck
, and the dog was usually a referee or judge - though on some occasions he would be a player in the sports and games.
Roughly 45 cartoons were made, ranging from 40 seconds to around 2 minutes, and would frequently run as filler segments on Nickelodeon
during the late 1980s through the mid-1990s (with the "Darts" cartoon airing until around 2000).
- Berserk Button: The hippo was normally gentle. But if something innoccent was threatened (like a butterfly or flower), he would go crazy.
- The Brute: The bigger, stronger, and meaner version of the Cat that appeared in some shorts.
- Cats Are Mean: Taken Up to Eleven with the Cat!
- Cheaters Never Prosper
- David Versus Goliath: Frequently occurred when the protagonist, usually the pig(s), against the Big Cat.
- Evil Laugh/Evil Gloating: The Cat would always do one of these.
- Gentle Giant: The hippo.
- Jerk With The Heart Of A Jerk: The Cat. The Cat would not only cheat in the various games/sports he participated in, but also would taunt his opponent. Needless to say, he was also a very sore loser.
- Keep Circulating the Tapes: Family Home Entertainment released a videotape collecting all the shorts. It's out-of-print now and there's yet to be a DVD/Blu-Ray release.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch/Laser-Guided Karma: What always happened to the Cat at the end of the short.
- Look Behind You: The Cat uses this trick against the Hippo during a chess match to cheat. When the Hippo tries to warn the Cat, it doesn't work...and the Cat literally ends up with egg on his face.
- Something Completely Different: Both in and out of universe. One cartoon featured two teams of giant blue cats facing off in a professional hockey match (with the dog as the referee, and the hippo and pig nowhere to be found). However, instead of playing a hockey game like they were supposed to, the cats all engage in an ice dancing ballet - much to the dog's confusion and the audience's disgust.
- The Olympics: Some shorts would have the characters in Olympic style events such as the shotput, the discus, pole vaulting, and gymnastics.