- Aerith and Bob: Most of the names are either somewhat traditional (Matilda, Cy) or reasonable for cartoons (Polo, Groaner, Bobo, Woody). Ovide and Saphron, on the other hand... God knows where those names came from.
- Ovide probably is a pun on the word "video," as the opening clip of every episode shows.
- Saphron is probably a reference to Saffron, a type of seasoning. Since he's the Team Chef, it fits.
- The Bad Guy Wins: Cy has finally succeeded and sent Ovide and the gang to exile... except by the end of the episode he realized it was All Just a Dream.
- The Ditz: Bobo
- Egomaniac Hunter: One two-time antagonist is a fox hunter who hunts partly for profit and partly for the sake of bagging any exotic animals in his way.
- Everything's Better With Platypi: Ovide and his cousin Saphron
- Expy: A vocal example, Polo sounds a lot like classic actor Jimmy Durante. He even says the "Ha-cha-cha" line once or twice.
- Fantastic Drug: There was a certain flower that, when sniffed, would make anybody extremely happy and relaxed. As in, very mellow, laid-back, and agreeable. The villain of the show hated the flowers, as he didn't like getting along with others, but many episodes ended with him being forced to take a sniff. So in a nutshell, all the good guys on the show would sniff a flower to get high, and the villain didn't want to but was usually coerced into doing it. On a kid's show.
- Finishing Each Other's Sentences: The koalas Do, Re, and Mi respectively speak the beginning, middle, and end of most of their lines. For example, when seeking ways to keep warm in "The Big Chill", they huddle together atop Alvin the sloth, and have this to say:Do: We find that togetherness...
Re: ... is a very warming...
Mi: ... expe-herience. (hiccups)
- Gang of Critters: Right there in the title.
- Kangaroos Represent Australia: Her name is Matilda (yes, as in "waltzing").
- Meaningful Name:
- Ovide's name is an anagram for "video," referencing the frequent use of television within the show. Also doubles as a Significant Anagram.
- Saphron is a yellow platypus and Groaner is a toucan prone to making horrible jokes.
- The Medic: Matilda serves this role with her expansive knowledge of medicine, herbs, and cures. She also has proven to be an effective one-person rescue team and can use boomerangs to great effect if necessary.
- Misplaced Wildlife: Toucans are found in South America, not Australia. However, this can be Hand Waved by taking place on a fictional island.
- Monkey Morality Pose: The koalas Do, Re, and Mi mimic this. Do is always wearing headphones and is usually pressing them against his ears, Re is always wearing sunglasses, and Mi, who seems to have a permanent case of hiccups, is usually covering his mouth.
- Once an Episode: The roaming TV will appear with the female platypus character adding commentary, relaying plot elements and giving information to Cy.
- Reptiles Are Abhorrent: Cy, the main villain, is a snake.
- The Smurfette Principle: Matilda is the only female member of the main cast. In addition to her, there is also the female newscaster who also appears at least once per episode although she remains on the TV screen.
- Sssssnake Talk: Cy Sly.
- TV Genius: Ovide, quite literally.