about a luckless pirate and his anthropomorphic rat sidekick, Snuk. A wildly selfish jerk, Jack would probably be unsympathetic if not for the fact that he is absolutely the universe's Butt Monkey
. Imagine Bruce Campbell
playing Black Adder
, but as a Saturday Morning Cartoon
, and you'll have an idea of what it's like.
Much like Toonsylvania
, this cartoon was made by DreamWorks
(back when the production company was first starting out and did 2-D cartoons that didn't get a lot of praise with mainstream audiences), aired on FOX as part of the FOX Kids
line-up, was canceled after a short run, and now can't really be found in reruns, as there are no DVDs available and YouTube
rarely (if ever) shows episodes (unless the episode is dubbed in a non-English language).
This series provides examples of:
- The Ace: Flash Dashing.
- Amazon Brigade: Flash Dashing's crew consist out of very attractive young ladies.
- Arbitrary Skepticism: After having met dragons and witches in the past, you'd think Mad Jack would know better than to claim that vampires don't exist.
- Bury Me Not on the Lone Prairie: Mad Jack's Uncle Mortimer wished to be buried at the Island of Hanna-Barbarian.
- Catchphrase: Mad Jack tends to say "This is the worst nightmare I ever experienced" (or a variation of it) quite often.
- Due to the Dead: Mad Jack's Uncle Mortimer wished to be buried at the Island of Hanna-Barbarian.
- Everyone Went to School Together: The entire premise of the flashback episode.
- Expy: The Mayor of the Island of Hanna-Barbarian is one to Barney Rubble.
- Failure Is the Only Option: If Mad Jack ever gets a treasure, don't expect him to be able to keep it.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: One of the biggest offenders yet seen. Case in point, one scene involves a magician who is tempted by Snuk, who by the way is dressed as a temptress belly-dancer, grabbing his sock, sniffing it, and smiling.
- This chunk from episode 2:
(fade to reality from hallucination; unconscious Jack puckers at Snuck; Snuck applies CPR)
(Jack grabs Snuck and kisses him deeply before realizing he's done so and doing the obligatory tongue wipe)
Snuck: *blushes, smitten* "Oooh, that's lovely, Cap'n. Tell me again about our love enduring."
Jack: *panics and looks about wildly* "Did anyone see that?!"
Snuck: *puts arm around Jack* "No, I don't think so. Uh, shall we wait until someone walks by?"
- Implausible Fencing Powers: Flash Dashing is able to turn Jack's sword into splinters by waving it around because of Rule of Funny
- I Shall Taunt You: Used as part of a plan to slay a dragon. The dragon was more bemused than anything until the taunts started to go onto the subject of his mother.
- Lampshade Hanging: Everywhere
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: One episode features a well-suited man called "Mr. D'eath". Jack remarks that his name sounds French until seeing the man upon which he realises the man is, in fact, Death.
- Negative Continuity: Mad Jack meets Snuck in the first episode for the first time ever. In a later episode all the characters went to school together.
- Non-Human Sidekick: Snuk.
- On One Condition: Mad Jack inherits a treasure from his Uncle Mortimer. However, the will stipulates that Uncle Mortimer's body and his dog must be taken to the Island of Hanna-Barbarian. The condition is fulfilled but, because Status Quo Is God, the treasure consists of a chest full of dog biscuits.
- Rule of Funny: This show is from the makers of Eek! The Cat. Most of everything in this show runs on this rule.
- Short Runner: Only 13 episodes.
- Shout-Out: There are many celebrity caricatures, a few cultural gags, and one island is even called the "Isle of Lucy".
- Snowlems: The eponymous snow trolls in "The Alarming Snow Troll Encounter".
- Sugar Bowl: In an episode, Mad Jack and Snuk go search for a treasure in The Island of Pink and Fuzzy: A place where almost everything is pink, trees are candy canes, and where flying talking pink poodles, strong peppermint smelling sprites, and horrible all-devouring teddy bears with knife-sharp teeth live. Mad Jack isn't amused.
- Talking Weapon: In one episode, Jack goes in search of a Singeing Sword. Turns out, it's actually a Singing Sword...
- Unexplained Recovery: Hilariously Lampshaded:
Mad Jack: Didn't you die a while back?
Angus Dagnabbit: Aye. I got better.
Mad Jack: You were DEAD! How do you get better from being DEAD, you Scottish twit?!?!
- Unmoving Plaid: Stereotypically Scottish Angus Dagnabbit wears such a kilt.
- Who Even Needs a Brain?: In one of the episodes, Jack gets a deadly disease that can only be cured by eating specific berries from an island of unknown location. Once they arrive there, Jack quickly starts eating the first berries they come across as soon as Snuk reads from the medical book that it should be these ones. However, as Snuk reads further into the book, it turns out that these particular berries actually cause the eater's eyes and brain to explode. Cue Jack spitting all the berries immediately, but still having both his brain and his eyes literally shoot out of his head. In the next scene, he holds both in a mug filled with water, but is otherwise fine.