about a luckless pirate and his anthropomorphic rat sidekick, Snuk. A wildly selfish jerk, Jack would probably be unsympathetic if not for the fact that he is absolutely the universe's Butt Monkey
. Imagine Bruce Campbell
playing Black Adder
, but as a Saturday Morning Cartoon
, and you'll have an idea of what it's like.
Much like Toonsylvania
, this cartoon was made by DreamWorks
(back when the production company was first starting out and did 2-D cartoons that didn't get a lot of praise with mainstream audiences), aired on FOX as part of the FOX Kids
line-up, was canceled after a short run, and now can't really be found in reruns, as there are no DVDs available and YouTube
rarely (if ever) shows episodes (unless the episode is dubbed in a non-English language).
This series provides examples of:
- The Ace : Flash Dashing.
- Amazon Brigade: Flash Dashing's crew consist out of very attractive young ladies.
- Bury Me Not on the Lone Prairie: Mad Jack's Uncle Mortimer wished to be buried at the Island of Hanna-Barbarian.
- Due to the Dead: Mad Jack's Uncle Mortimer wished to be buried at the Island of Hanna-Barbarian.
- Everyone Went to School Together in a flashback episode.
- Expy: The Mayor of the Island of Hanna-Barbarian is one to Barney Rubble.
- Failure Is the Only Option: If Mad Jack ever gets a treasure, don't expect him to be able to keep it.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: One of the biggest offenders yet seen. Case in point, one scene involves a magician who is tempted by Snuk, who by the way is dressed as a temptress belly-dancer, grabbing his sock, sniffing it, and smiling.
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Tom Kenny, Jess Harnell, Charlie Adler and Cam Clark were all featured performers.
- Homoerotic Subtext: This chunk from episode 2:
(fade to reality from hallucination; unconscious Jack puckers at Snuck; Snuck applies CPR)
(Jack grabs Snuck and kisses him deeply before realizing he's done so and doing the obligatory tongue wipe)
Snuck: *blushes, smitten* "Oooh, that's lovely, Cap'n. Tell me again about our love enduring."
Jack: *panics and looks about wildly* "Did anyone see that?!"
Snuck: *puts arm around Jack* "No, I don't think so. Uh, shall we wait until someone walks by?"
- Implausible Fencing Powers: Flash Dashing is able to turn Jack's sword into splinters by waving it around because of Rule of Funny
- I Shall Taunt You: Used as part of a plan to slay a dragon. The dragon was more bemused than anything until the taunts started to go onto the subject of his mother.
- Lampshade Hanging: Everywhere
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: One episode features a well-suited man called "Mr. D'eath". Jack remarks that his name sounds French until seeing the man upon which he realises the man is, in fact, Death.
- Negative Continuity Mad Jack meets Snuck in the first episode for the first time ever. In a later episode all the characters went to school together.
- Non-Human Sidekick: Snuk.
- On One Condition: Mad Jack inherits a treasure from his Uncle Mortimer. However, the will stipulates that Uncle Mortimer's body and his dog must be taken to the Island of Hanna-Barbarian. The condition is fulfilled but, because Status Quo Is God, the treasure consists of a chest full of dog biscuits.
- Rule of Funny this show is from the makers of Eek! The Cat. Most of everything in this show runs on this rule.
- Short Runner: Only 13 episodes.
- Shout-Out: There are many celebrity caricatures, a few cultural gags, and one island is even called the "Isle of Lucy".
- Snowlems: The eponymous snow trolls in "The Alarming Snow Troll Encounter".
- Sugar Bowl: In an episode, Mad Jack and Snuk go search for a treasure in The Island of Pink and Fuzzy: A place where almost everything is pink, trees are candy canes, and where flying talking pink poodles, strong peppermint smelling sprites, and horrible all-devouring teddy bears with knife sharp teeth live. Mad Jack isn't amused.
- Talking Weapon: In one episode, Jack goes in search of a Singeing Sword. Turns out, it's actually a Singing Sword...
- Unexplained Recovery: Hilariously Lampshaded:
Mad Jack: Didn't you die a while back?
Angus Dagnabbit: Aye. I got better.
Mad Jack: You were DEAD! How do you get better from being DEAD, you Scottish twit?!?!
- Unmoving Plaid: Stereotypically Scottish Angus Dagnabbit wears such a kilt.