A British young children's cartoon made in 1980, consisting of 13 five-minute episodes
. Each episode was focused around the antics of Rollo, an inept and profoundly childish
monarch, who was kept in check by his parent figures, the magician
Tropes in this series:
- Almighty Janitor: Rollo would usually defer to the advice of the cook.
- The Caligula: An unusually benign example, but Rollo is nonetheless completely incapable of being in charge of a lemonade stand, let alone a kingdom.
- Court Mage: The Magician.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: When playing with his toy bow and arrow, Rollo hits the bullseye with his first shot, and hits the shaft of the previous one with each of the next two.
- Manchild: The basic premise of the show.
- Narrating the Obvious: Inevitable, given its very young target audience.
- The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: The kingdom requires absolutely no royal supervision to keep it ticking over. This is fortunate for Rollo, whose time is thus freed up for activities such as climbing trees and playing with a train set. It is also fortunate for the population, who would no doubt be in for a world of trouble if their king ever had to make a decision more momentous than which sock he should put on first.
- Plucky Comic Relief: Hamlet the cat.
- Silly Walk: Rollo never goes anywhere without flailing his arms wildly.
- Solemn Ending Theme: After Rollo's selfish comic-reading at the dinner table causes Queen Gwen to abandon him, the usual happy ending music is replaced with this.