Western Animation: Four Eyes!
(known as Quat' Zieux
in French) is a 2005 animated series
created by Darryl Kluskowski. The show was given an English dub and it is a co-production between Porchlight Entertainment, Inc. Los Angeles, CA and Pictor Media, SA, France.
The series centers around an alien girl called Emma, who is sent to Earth by her parents to repeat the fifth grade
. The name of the show is also taken from the fact that the true alien form of the protagonist is literally having four eyes and coincidentally, the glasses she uses in order to morph herself into the shape of a human being is through a pair of glasses and the notorious twin antagonists call her by that name. Thinking of herself as a far superior life form
, she has to bare the hard days of her life on Earth and try as hard as she can to assimilate into the masses, lest she is revealed and, well, you know
Full episodes of the dubbed version can be found and watched here
. It depends with where you're at, however
The following tropes include:
- Abusive Alien Parents: Emma's parents. They did send her to Earth but that's only their genuinely evil act. They mean well, it seems but they poke fun of her situation every now and then.
- Alien Among Us
- Alien Animals: Emma states that frogs are originally from Albacore 7 and because of this, she can communicate with them.
- Aliens Speaking English
- Arc Words: "I hate this planet(!)", as uttered a few times by Emma.
- Comic Trio: Emma, Skyler and Pete could count as a mild example. Whenever Emma gets herself into some sort of jam (usually, that might expose her alien identity), chances are her two friends have to intervene and/or help her, which results to rather unneeded complications if things should go wrong.
- Dean Bitterman: Averted with Headmaster Payne, who is an easy-going, good-natured man and he prefers not to punish his students unless necessary, and often tries to "connect" with his young charges.
- Disproportionate Retribution: It can be safely assumed that she must have done something very stupid to get her to repeat the fifth grade, but what's with the sending her to another planet?
- Excited Show Title!
- Fallen Princess: The premise implies that Emma is actually quite popular and attractive back in her planet. On Earth however, it's the complete opposite as her human disguise makes her look like a total geek.
- Fatal Flaw: Emma can be dubbed as "lactose intolerant" but her reaction to everything dairy would put her hidden alien status at stake as this shorts out her disguise.
- Then there's her not having to take off her glasses or else. Though it's shown she doesn't really mind them that much, she fears having someone bump her so hard, it flies off.
- Free-Range Children: Fifth graders who may not be older than 10 or 12. Justified since the setting is in a boarding school and the students can go wherever they please. Particularly for the three characters who get into rather dangerous situations at times.
- Full-Body Disguise: Emma's glasses can turn her into a human in a blink of an eye.
- Jerkass: Alexis and Roland.
- Also Emma, at worst when she ignores her friends' advice.
- The Glasses Come Off: In one episode when her human disguise malfunctioned and can't go back to her original form. Because of this, she is seen for the first time without glasses. She eventually goes back to normal after overdosing on dairy products and is wearing glasses once again.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Literally for Emma, except for the green-eyed part. In one episode, Redgar (her crush from an opposing school) showed interest in a girl from his own school, causing Emma to become extremely jealous which caused her to turn into a demonic monster, far from her alien appearance.
- Nerd Glasses: Emma and her friends.
- Out of Order
- Sadist Teacher: Not severely in the case of Miss Dowager, but she visibly favors Alexis and Roland and she tries to always find an excuse to have Emma get punished. Though she has a rather petty yet convincing reason for hating her. In the episode "Miss Dowager's Secret" it was revealed that the reason she hates Emma so much is because her last boyfriend left her for a woman with the same name. And through her years of teaching, whenever she gets a student named Emma, she makes them feel as miserable as possible.
- Secret Keeper: Keepers plural. Skyler and Pete are the only human friends she's ever trusted her alien identity to.
- Shaped Like Itself: Emma having four eyes, as an alien.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: The Billingsford twins, Alexis and Roland.
- Skyward Scream: At the end of the show's intro when she screamed the arc words into the sky as the Earth zooms out. It happens to be in an episode as well.
- Slapstick Knows No Gender
- Surrounded by Idiots: At least, by Emma's opinion. She thinks humans are a rather underdeveloped species.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Cheeseless pizza for Emma.
- Two Guys and a Girl: The starring trio. Subverted that the girl is the main character.
- Two-Teacher School: The staff seen so far have been the headmaster, Emma's teacher as mentioned above and Coach Stebbins.