Flash Gordon was a 1996 animated TV series loosely based on the comic strip of the same name. In this version, Flash and Dale are teenagers with a fondness for skateboarding — or in this case hoverboarding — who accidentally get trapped on the planet Mongo thanks to their bumbling scientist friend, Dr. Zarkov. There they are thrown headlong into a rebellion against the reptilian dictator, Emperor Ming. But they aren't alone in their fight; they have help from some of the natives including the gallant hawk man, Prince Talon, and the fierce yet honour-driven lionid, Princess Thundar.The people behind this series also did Phantom 2040, which depicted Flash Gordon's King Features stablemate The Phantom (or rather, his descendant) as a teenager with a flying motorcycle.
- Action Figure File Card: They consisted of the heroes and villains describing each other.
- Alien Invasion: First and last episode premise.
- Amazon Brigade: Thundar's people, the Lionids.
- Appease the Volcano God: There were no gods involved, but Dale and Dr. Zarkov were almost thrown into a volcano by some crazy cave people.
- Bare Your Midriff: Flash, Dale and Princess Thundar wear crop tops all the time.
- Brain Washed: Dr. Zarkov suffered this at the hands of Sulpha; the entire team was almost wiped out because of this.
- Cat Girl: Thundar
- Character Title
- Enemy Mine: "Enemy Ming". Yes, that's the episode title.
- Gender Flip: In this version, Flash's ally Prince Thun of the Lion People became Princess Thundar.
- Green-Skinned Space Babe
- Five-Man Band
- Human Aliens: Particularly the Hawk Men
- One-Gender Race: Male lionids are mysteriously absent
- Our Wormholes Are Different: Travel between Earth's solar system and Mongo's is by wormhole.
- The Reptilians: Ming, Lynch, Sulpha and, to an extent, Aura.