was a 1988 comic book mini-series adaptation of the famous comic strip hero Flash Gordon
, written by Dan Jurgens and produced by DC Comics
The series ran for the planned 9 issues, and while it ended with a hook for a continued series, it was never picked up.
This mini-series contains examples of:
- Adaptation Distillation: The series compressed the basic story into 9 issues and still found time for plenty of action, worldbuilding, and character development.
- Arranged Marriage: Between Aura and Barin.
- Cliff Hanger: Like the serials and comic strips, every issue ended with a cliffhanger.
- Faking the Dead: At the end of the story, Flash allows Dale to believe he's dead so she can return to her life on Earth while he remains on Mongo.
- The Hero's Journey: Flash, who begins the strip as a basketball player past his prime, finds new purpose on Mongo.
- In Harm's Way: Flash likes to take risks early on, which ends with him crashing his car and meeting Dale and Dr. Zarkov.
- Intrepid Reporter: Dale, much to Flash's annoyance.
- Mugged for Disguise: Flash steals a military officer's uniform to flee Mingo City.
- No One Could Survive That: Flash and Dale assume this about Dr. Zarkov.
- Race Lift: Ming and Aura are gray-skinned here.
- Surrounded by Idiots: In issue 2 Flash points out Ming's guards are incompetent; it takes two panels for Ming to come to the same conclusion and try to kill Flash himself.
- The Vamp: Aura.
- You Got Spunk: Ming finds Dale's feistiness refreshing.