"Deduce, You Say" is a 1956 Looney Tunes short directed by Chuck Jones. Daffy Duck is Dorlock Holmes, with Porky Pig as sidekick Watkins, as they attempt to track down the notorious Shropshire Slasher.
This animated short provides examples of:
- Almost Dead Guy: Subverted. The case is touched off when a man collapses on their front stoop. However, when Dorlock begins to analyze the "corpse," he gets up. Turns out, he just tripped over the step.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Aside from narrating, Watkins addresses the audience directly a few times.
- Deadpan Snarker: Watkins.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: When Dorlock begins to harass a flower woman, the Slasher recognizes her and beats him up.
- Great Detective: Dorlock thinks he's an awesome detective.
- Clueless Detective: What he actually is.
- His Name Really is Shropshire Slasher: His mother actually calls him "Slasher" at the end.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: Arguably, Watkins, who is the most competent person in the short and Dorlock's sidekick. Not that he has a lot of competition.
- Oh, Crap!: When Dorlock attempts to arrest a little old lady for "hawking dandelions without a licence":Shropshire Slasher: Mother!Dorlock: Mother? Mother...*in a terrified squeak* really?*pummeling ensues*
- Parody: Of Sherlock Holmes.
- Politeness Judo: The Shrorpshire Slasher gives himself up just because Watkins politely asked him to.
- Pun-Based Title: On "The deucenote you say!"
- Punny Name: "Doorlock Holmes"
- Rude Hero, Nice Sidekick: Exaggerated. Daffy as Dorlock Holmes rudely interrogates innocent civilians; Porky's Dr. Watkins gets the villain to give himself up just by asking him politely.
- Sherlock Homage
- Stiff Upper Lip: Watkins is a spoof of this.
- Subverted Catchphrase: What kind of detective school did Holmes go to? Elementary!
- Talking the Monster to Death: After all of Holmes' fighting skills fail to subdue the Slasher, Watkins gets him to give up willingly just by asking him nicely.