Webcomic / Tripp
was a webcomic about a regular guy who works in a regular office and has a regular, everyday crush on the cute girl in the next cubicle. Except Tripp is stuck in an endless acid trip, sees his coworkers in odd forms that reflect their personality, and is haunted by the ghost of Edgar Allen Poe.
Alternative URL to comic can be found: here
Tripp was written by Bill Taylor. It ran from January 2, 2011 to February 12, 2015.
This work provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Proxy, of course. Also somewhat applies to Coco, since the chip in her head gives her awesome fighting skills, but it's not yet clear if she can control it. Let us not forget the Mazons.
- Aliens Speaking English: Tripp is able to understand the Amazons because of a translator device put in his ear.
- Bitch Alert: Tripp visualizes Delia with snakes for hair when he meets her for the first time.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Coco, Sam, and Proxy, respectively.
- Character Title
- Dark is Not Evil: Sam only wears black, including a spiked collar, and dark makeup. She's one of Tripp's best friends.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: Tripp, Coco, Proxy and Edgar all get happy endings, but have to go through hell to get them.
- In particular, Proxy: After encountering an alternate timeline Tripp who wasn't involved with Coco, she finds out Edgar transered her sexual soulmate status for our Tripp, not all Tripps.
- Endangered Species: The Narvans, according to Stats.
- Everyone Loves Blondes: Coco.
- Gamer Chick: Sam loves to beat Tripp at Mario Kart. She even shows off her new Elder Scrolls tattoo in an early strip.
- Genre Savvy: Poe's suggestion to disguise themselves in Narvan robes is born from watching a lot of Luke's blu-ray collection and noticing that most successful heroes are the ones who can infiltrate their targets.
- Head-Tiltingly Kinky: Sam and Coco watch Tripp and Proxy's sex tape.
- Hello, Nurse!: Coco is so hot, Tripp initially visualizes her in amazon gear. With a tiger.
- Hulking Out: Coco
- Human Aliens: The Narvans, and the Amazons Tripp & co. encounter in their first attempt to vortex-jump.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Before she leaves for good, Proxy has Edgar transfer her status as Tripp's sexual soulmate to Coco.
- Love Triangle: Tripp, Coco and Proxy.
- Mind Control: Why Coco is fighting the Queen of Narva.
- Mars Needs Women: Or Narva in this case, who stole Coco to keep their race alive.
- Mushroom Samba: The comic starts with Tripp going through an extended LSD trip, once that implicitly hasn't ended yet. The background distortion effect notably vanishes in scenes where Tripp isn't present.
- New Old Flame: Interesting twist, as it turns out Coco's seemingly-perfect Old Flame John is really a shape-shifting alien whose planet wants to clone Coco in order to keep the race from dying out.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Coco has one with the Queen of Narva.
- Not-So-Imaginary Friend: Tripp is the only one who can see Poe. Except for Delia, for some reason. To everyone else, it just looks like he's talking to himself.
- See-Thru Specs: Proxy has a pair that allows her to see Poe.
- Shout-Out: The project that Tripp has missed the deadline for and has no hope of getting done in time is appropriately named "The Kobayashi Report". Captain Kirk & Bones even make an appearance.
- Significant Green-Eyed Redhead: Proxy
- Snarky Non-Human Sidekick: Poe.
- Spirit Advisor: Poe suggests that this is his purpose in the second strip. Although Tripp does also appear to have a cowboy speaking for his subconscious.
- Time Travel: Proxy, Tripp's bodyguard from the future. Unfortunately for her the trip was one way and she is stuck in the past.
- Tin-Can Robot: Stats.