Webcomic: Omnitopia The Playground
Omnitopia: The Playground (sometimes called OTP) is a webcomic on the Giantitp forums. Yes, that Giantitp. The Giantitp home to The Order of the Stick, and various forum related comics like Murphy's Law and Avatar Battle Royale (which has various spin-offs). The premise of the comic is simple. A fictional MMORPG came out in 2005 which soon became very popular (and caused World of Warcraft to shut down). One of its features is that players can create their own servers. The good-folks from the Giantitp forums (Like the Author, Grlump, and every other player-character in the comic) have created their own server. Mayhem ensues. Every player character in the comic is a user from the forums who has asked to appear. The tropes are split up into two categories: The Comic, for stuff like the characters and plots, and The Game, for elements of the game presented in the comic.
This webcomic provides examples of:
open/close all folders
- An Adventurer Is You: An out of universe example. When people request how they appear in the comic, they can ask to appear. Hence, an adventurer in the comic is you.
- All There in the Manual: The first post of the Omnitopia permission thread and of the thread where the comics are posted explain the premise of the comic.
- And Now For Something Completely Different: Issue 47 ends with Maxios, Superdark, Raziere, Akrim, Lord of Shadows, and Betrooper entering the goblin's fortress to talk to their king. Issue 48, for Halloween, suddenly switches to an eldritch abomination with the head of a pumpkin appearing in Spawntown and attacking Grlump, Blue Ghost, and Ralcos.
- Annoying Arrows: Orang the Orange Ninja Goblin gets an arrow in his head and an arrow in his chest while charging Raziere. He doesn't even notice.
- Author Avatar: The Author appears as one of the main characters of the comic.
- Ax-Crazy: Superdark. Here's an example: he killed a hobgoblin general because he wanted his armor.
- Badass Boast: "Grlump says Grlump will use greataxe to topple you like a tree"
- Big Bad: The Lord of Shadows becomes this in Chapters Five & Six.
- Big Brother Is Watching: The Server. His nature is unknown (And it hasn't even been confirmed that the Server is a he). The Server is the person who created the Giantitp Server, and his/her identity is unknown. The Server tends to mess around with the characters (at one point saying that he wants to spawn a dragon and watch as the characters die as they fight it).
- Colour Coded Characters: The Lord of Shadows, who was requested to appear as a villain, wears dark grey robes. Blue Mage, who was requested to appear as a hero, wears blue robes.
- Deadpan Snarker: The Server.
- Evil Redheads: Subverted. Betropper has red hair, and is a hero (in fact, his race is Angel).
- Heroes Prefer Swords: Maxios wields a sword. Crimson Angel wields a sword. The Lord of Shadows had a sword (but he never uses it)...
- Interactive Comic: Every player character in the comic is a user from the forums who has asked to appear.
- Item Crafting: Part of Genie's plan was forcing the people who owed him a favour to make weapons for him.
- Mythology Gag: The comic contains many references to the Giantitp Minecraft Server, and other things from the forums.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Two examples. The Lord of Shadows, and Superdark.
- Oh, Crap: Maxios utters this several times while fleeing from Spawntown when it's under attack from Ninja Goblins.
- Red Herring: In the 23rd strip, Maxios goes swimming in an attempt to flee from the Ninja Goblins. Someone underwater says something in a pink speech balloon, who tends to elongate the S in wordsss. Maxios, assuming it's a Pervshark or a Kraken, flees. Anyone who reads Avatar Battle Royale will at this point thinks it's a Pervshark. In the last panel, it turns out to be two mermaids who were inviting Maxios to their undersea paradise.
- Running Gag: Maxios bribing people, Superdark threatening to kill people
- Shout-Out: The story of how Maxios took control of Spawntown from Superdark is a shout-out to Fallout 3. More specifically, it's a shout-out of how the current Mayor of Little Lamplight took control. The Pervsharks from Avatar Battle Royale will also appear. Monty Python has also been referenced.
- Spin-Off: The Author is currently writing the rules for a Pb P game set in Omnitopia. Also, Omnitopia: The Tavern which died after a grand total of one strips. There was also a free Omnitopia board game, but the PDF for it was taken down by the site it was hosted on.
- Start of Darkness: The Lord of Shadows started his after his his first death. Superdark also seems to be undergoing one, seeing how he ripped the hobgoblin commander in cold blood.
- Third-Person Person: Grlump speaks in third-person. This is a creative liberty though, the real Grlump doesn't post on the forums in thirdperson.
- What Could Have Been: The original idea for the comic was that the Nexus, one of the world's largest play-by-post games that has it's home on the same forums that Omnitopia is on, was a MMORPG. This idea would have followed Maxios, who is a new player, as he goes on wacky mis-adventures. The second idea was similar to the first, but wasn't set in the Nexus and was called "Multiverse". This idea involved a new player on a large server as he goes on mis-adventures (like blowing up a nuke just to see what happens). The third idea was a parody of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and was about a player-character named Tony as he tries to get weapons stolen during a spawned-weapons trade between two in-game criminal orginizations. The final idea is the current one.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: What happened to Azuyomi after she got injured in the bank robbery? and the ogre?
- Word Of God: The Author has said that the Pervsharks from Avatar Battle Royale will appear. He's also said the Lord of Shadows will become a villain (as requested) and so will Superdark. He's also said that Raziere will find a power ring, and that Akrim will be pushed off a cliff by Grlump so he can get a Revolver she found.
- Bloodless Carnage: Characters get hit in the head with a club, stabbed in the chest with a katana, and end up getting their head ripped off their bodies...with little to no blood. note
- Death Is a Slap on the Wrist: Subverted. Unless you manage to convince the Grim Reaper to spare you, or your buddies somehow find a way to bring you back to life, death is permanent. Sure, your character can explore the Spirit Zone after dying, but still...
- Eldritch Abomination: Pumpkinhead.
- Green Lantern Ring: There are several dozen power rings scattered across the GameWorld. Their types include: Green, Blue, Red, Yellow, Black, and White (there's only one Black Ring, and only one White Ring)
- Guns vs. Swords: Guns are the second most powerful weapon in the game, whether or not swords are the best is still to be decided.
- Invisible Wall: Subverted. Players can go anywhere in the GameWorld, it's moon, and the surrounding area of space.
- Item Crafting: Implied to exist in Omnitopia, based off Genie getting people to make weapons for him.
- Our Goblins Are Different: They have fifth-level ninja guarding them, they live underground, and they hate PCs who build near their villages.
- Wide Open Sandbox: Players can explore dungeons, start towns, go to space, dress up as superheroes and fight crime (this list can go on infinitely, but then it would cause people's computers to explode while trying to look at this page)