A lavishly illustrated webcomic, Nineteen, Twenty-One tells the sweet story of two people trying to find themselves as they face some of life's most difficult transitions.A young woman named Yun-lee reawakens from a coma to find her world completely changed, and struggles to come to terms with the time she has lost. Nevertheless she enrolls in university, and meets a cheerful nineteen-year-old, Dong-whi, who shares her uncertainty about the future. Despite all the hardships that face them, the two decide to fly in the face of mediocrity and apathy to save a dwindling group of friends. Who also happen to be cats. Because, to these two, felines are Serious Business.Don't be put off by the tag that labels this work as a Romance — there is something in this story for everyone.This completed webcomic is written by "John", illustrated by "Jenna" (artist of Girls of the Wild's), and can be found at Naver here, with an English translation by Easy Going Scans and hosted on Webtoon Live here.
This work provides example of:
- Birds of a Feather: Yun-lee and Dong-whi both really like cats.
- Bishōnen: Dong-whi
- Cherry Blossom: Just look at the page image.
Dong-whi: The cherry blossom season must be near it's end. They're really pouring down, aren't they?
- Even lampshaded by Dong-whi in Chapter Two.
- Crazy Cat Lady: Crazy Cat Couple: What a lot of people consider Yun-lee and Dong-hwi in-universe. Actually, they're just some really kind people who feel sympathetic towards the neighborhood strays.
- Death by Newbery Medal: It is about cats, so...
- Dogged Nice Guy: Dong-hwi makes it very clear he's not going to give up on Yun-lee, despite her hesitance.
- Floral Theme Naming: Each chapter is named after a flower.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Yun-lee wants the best for the cats but also wants to befriend the residents to prevent arguments.
- Keet: Dong-hwi definitely has the hyperactivity to be one, although is is a bit older than most in this group. He is also not the kind that his kitty friends would be chasing after.
- Kick the Dog: The cruelty to the local cats from the residents in the area.
- Last Minute Hookup
- Limited Wardrobe: Played straight with Dong-hwi, who nearly always wears the same outfit, but averted for Yun-lee.
- Luminescent Blush
- Meet Cute: Yun-lee sees Dong-hwi climbing a wall. He believes that she has mistaken him for a burgler but all she comments on is that he looks like a cat. Then they realise the other is feeding the local cats and bond.
- Not What It Looks Like: Subverted. See Meet Cute (above).
- Nice Hat: Yun-lee is often shown wearing a very pretty, wide brimmed hat.
- One Head Taller: Dong-whi over Yun-lee.
- Punny Name: Yun-lee and Dong-whi have an established group of furry friends they feed, and they name them... the Nyaveriks!
- Scenery Porn/Awesome Art: The whole thing, really. Justified scenery porn because somebody is always cleaning up the area and planting flowers.
- Sealed with a Kiss
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: Subverted. Dong-whi asks, after he and Yun-lee got mistaken for a couple, what was wrong with it and admits that he likes her.
- Snow Means Love: It's snowing when Yun-lee and Dong-whi finally kiss and admit their feelings for each other.
- They Do
- Umbrella of Togetherness: Teased with. Eventually Yun-lee gives her umbrella to the cats and runs off with both Dong-whi's coat and his newly bought umbrella.