Webcomic / Lit Brick
is a webcomic about "sequential comedies of literature", written and drawn by John S. Troutman. The webcomic follows a story-within-a-story pattern: The main characters are a girl named Molly and her friends. Most of the comic's content, however, is a webcomic about public domain literature that Molly draws
. These comics are satirical retellings of works such as Shakespeare's plays, ancient mythology, and texts about King Arthur. The characters are also "played" by different members of the main cast, meaning that some roles are slightly tweaked.
Troutman also does adaptations of more modern works of literature, on commission.
After a very short-lived canceling of the webcomic, Troutman now updates on a more or less regular basis, Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Not to be confused with other brick-reated tropes
This webcomic provides examples of:
- Art Evolution: Not so big a change as in some cases, but compared to her first appearance, Molly has become better proportioned.
- Awesome Mc Coolname: In his notes, Troutman comments that Hero is a cool name for a girl.
- The Cameo: Several characters from Troutman's other webcomics make appearances, such as Sporkman
- Dude, She's Like, in a Coma!: Done to Hero, much to her disgust upon waking up.
- The Faceless: God, who is a giant who is only ever shown from the waist down.
- Genki Girl: Molly
- High-Pressure Blood: Used occasionally for comic effect. For example, here.
- Hijacked by Jesus: Due to the reusing of established characters, in the retelling of The Epic of Gilgamesh, it is She-Jesus who creates Enkidu.
- Jesus Was Way Cool: She-Jesus is a pretty awesome character. Subverted in her first appearance in the Paradise Lost adaptation, where everyone in Heaven considers her to be incredibly annoying and cheers when she offers to go to Earth and die for the sins of man.
- Karma Houdini: The rapist knight in the tale told by the Wife of Bath, at least in Troutman's opinion.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Deirdre.
- Prayer of Malice: In Of Plymouth Plantation, several of the pilgrims pray for God to smite one of the sailors, for laughing at them. She-Jesus does so, and has a laugh when they realize the sailor was their navigator.
- The Nth Doctor: She-Jesus, like the Doctor, can regenerate.