Elf provides examples of:
- All Just a Dream: the Wine Boy sequence turns out to be a dream by Pieter.
- Bow and Sword, in Accord: the elf uses both.
- Coat Full of Contraband: Parodied by One Deal Tom.
- Death by Irony: The sword-obsessed fish-creature is accidentally killed by a sword.
- Diagonal Cut: The elf has a dream where she does this to her brother.
- Erotic Eating: the "dill dough and wieners" were intended to be eaten this way.
- Food Chain of Evil: Clarence and the elf pretend they're going to eat the orcs.
- Inconvenient Summons: a goblin hero gets summoned while eating, and is quickly slain.
- It Tastes Like Feet: the potion Pieter bought.Pieter: This potion tastes like water that was used to wash a troll's ass... and wobbly bits.
- Let's Meet the Meat: parodied:Ad: Orc… it's better than goblin!
- My Life Flashed Before My Eyes: the dying halfling sees events from his past.
- No Name Given: For the first 36 pages, the title elf is never referred to by name.
- Non-Human Sidekick: The elf is usually accompanied by Clarence, a talking wombat.
- An Offer You Can't Refuse:Pieter: This is the infamous "One Deal" Tom. He has an ironclad business model. If you don't buy something, he beats you to death.
- Our Orcs Are Different: discussed by the piglike "old school orcs".
- Role-Playing Game Verse: AD&D, specifically.
- Scarily Competent Tracker: the elf invokes this when she notices she sounds like one.Elf: Something nasty is stalking a trio of halflings... and one dwarf with a gimpy right foot. It's hunting.
Elf: I am sounding so pro right now.
- Talking Animal: Clarence is a talking wombat.
- War Is Hell: discussed during a battle.Man: This war! What is it good for?
Elf: Absolutely nothing!