dream* scar is a webcomic set in a post-modern, alternate reality. It shows a world where unhumans, creatures of myth and lore [vampires, werewolves, dragons etc], live openly amongst humans and are therefore known for a fact to exist. It's not something that has been known for many years — it's new to both humans and unhumans, and so times are slightly chaotic [racism especially rampant]. Admist all this is a girl named Victoria aka Vix or Vixie. She knows she is an unhuman, and she knows how they are treated. She is lucky — she is merely something of an empath. Her powers are rather unnoticeable, so she is able to hide it. But when something goes wrong, and people end up dead, she begins to realize that there's more to her than she can comprehend... See here.
Tropes found in this work:
- Badass - Lysander
- Bodyguard Crush - Vix and Kou. He's been watching over her since she was a small child and they eventually end up together.
- Cute Monster Girl - Pretty much any female Unhuman shown so far.
- Dhampyr - Vix
- Dreaming of Things to Come - The first three pages show one of Vix's dreams. *
- The Empath - Victoria is a variant of this.
- Fantastic Racism - Seems to be one of the main plot points, and the reason Vix hides her abilities as an empath.
- Half-Human Hybrid - While not just half human Arianna has some phoenix in her.
- Happily Adopted - Victoria was, but, well...
- Horny Devils - Succubi and incubi, of course.
- I Hate You, Vampire Dad - The literal version, seeing as Vix is a dhampyr.
- Jerk Ass - Lysander, and how. He calls his daughter a bitch after meeting her for the first time!
- Les Yay - Vix and Jo. Jo's boyfriend (Seth) jokingly calls Vix "homewrecker."
- Oblivious Adoption - Victoria was never told that she was adopted, but resolves that she always had a feeling that she was different from her family.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping - Kou, clearly meant to be British, asks for an aubergine banger bap exactly once before dropping his nationality entirely.
- Ordinary High School Student - Subverted and sort of played straight - Victoria knows she's not an ordinary human, but as far as she knows she's just an empath and ordinary enough. This immediately turns out not to be the case.
- Our Demons Are Different - It is implied that there are other types, but Succubi/Incubi are the only ones mentioned so far. They don't seem to work for any higher power, and they don't seem particularly evil, so the name 'demon' might be for lack of a better term than actual servants of hell.
- Our Dragons Are Different - Not much is known about them so far, but it is known that there were two kinds of dragons in the past, ones who could fly and ones who couldn't, because the latter didn't have any wings. The fliers were hunted to extinction by the humans at some point in the past however due to their inability to adapt, so the only dragons remaining cannot fly.
- However that apparently doesn't keep them from kicking ass, in a world with vampires, werewolves, demons, etc. they apparently always come out on top.
- Our Vampires Are Different - While many traditional vampire weaknesses apply (sunlight, holy objects, fire), staking them in the heart is not fatal or even debilitating. It is also mentioned that there is more than one type of vampire. Kou being an example in that sunlight does not automatically kill him, and he is resistant to most other kinds of vampire weaknesses, but he is also not as powerful as a 'normal' vampire. They also are not monsters out for blood but seem like more or less normal people... with super powers and weird dietary habits.
- Rescue Romance - If the author's 10,000 shipping pictures are any indication, Vix and Kou are going to be this.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl - Seth and Jo are this kind of couple.
- The Unmasqued World
- Wall of Blather
- Zettai Ryouki - In several scenes she wears grade B, almost A