"Adventure Dennis is a stunning juggernaut of righteous fury and he will persevere!"
Adventure Dennis Saves The Mayor is an obscure webcomic about a man, titular Adventure Dennis, on a mission to save the kidnapped mayor. He finds a magic sword and progresses through ten "levels" in the style of an old school Platform Game
killing anything that opposes him, or even just happens to be standing in his way. The comic was drawn in MS Paint
with much copying and pasting.
It can be found on the Book Of PDR
, over here
Adventure Dennis provides examples of:
- All There in the Manual: The last section of the book is done in the style of an old game manual and reveals some facts about Dennis. (Unlike the story itself, which explains just about nothing)
- Ambidextrous Sprite
- Ax-Crazy: Or Magic Sword crazy, anyway.
- Big Bad: King Demonevil.
- Bigfoot, Sasquatch and Yeti: Adventure Dennis kills several types of yeti including a pirate, a superhero, and a businessman.
- Big Boo's Haunt: Level III is a haunted house.
- Blood Is the New Black: Adventure Dennis occasionally becomes absolutely covered in blood. His own and that of his enemies.
- Clean Cut: This is generally not the case, but the cut through Shadow Dennis take a moment to show.
- Comically Invincible Hero: Adventure Dennis takes damage visibly sometimes, but it never seems to bother him and always goes away at the end of a level.
- Continuity Nod: Another Book of PDR comic, Hover Head has an appearance by the Mayor from Adventure Dennis (and a mention of Demonsylvania in another story).
- Cool Sword: Adventure Dennis's sword which was "created by Ancient Mages probably."
- Determinator: Adventure Dennis will not stop. Ever.
- Elevator Action Sequence: The first half of Level X.
- Evil Twin: Shadow Dennis's origin is not explained, but he's basically just an Adventure Dennis on the other team.
- Goddamned Bats: In-Universe example. Adventure Dennis is attacked by bats at least once per level.
- Goomba Stomp: Dennis kills a ninja by landing on its head.
- Green Hill Zone: The first level starts off on green ground, though no hills are seen.
- High-Pressure Blood: While there is a lot of blood as Dennis goes on, only occasionally is it the high pressure type.
- Impact Silhouette
- Megalodon: The boss of the underwater level.
- Mirror Boss: Shadow Dennis is meant to evoke this kind of thing.
- One-Winged Angel: King Demonevil's true form.
- Our Demons Are Different: They come in a variety of shapes and sizes and apparently live in Demonsylvania, ruled by King Demonevil.
- Palette Swap: Shadow Dennis is basically just a shadowy Adventure Dennis.
- Robe and Wizard Hat: The Wizard Dennis kills dresses this way.
- Rooftop Confrontation: The second half of Level X.
- Save the Princess: Or rather, the mayor.
- Shout-Out: A number of the enemies are inspired by video games.
- Slippy-Slidey Ice World: Level VI. Though Dennis has no problem with friction.
- Sticky Bomb: Dennis has one stuck to his head through most of Level III.
- Stock Monsters: Dennis encounters most of the monsters on the list.
- Super Not-Drowning Skills: Just like any other thing that should probably kill him, Dennis just ignores drowning.
- Underground Level: Level II.
- Under the Sea: Level VIII. Though Dennis doesn't bother swimming and just runs along the bottom.
- White Shirt of Death: In one level Dennis wears a white suit which is red by the end.
- Who Even Needsa Brain: Normally-fatal headwounds are not even enough to slow Dennis down.
- Your Princess Is in Another Castle: At the end of the castle level Dennis finds that King Demonevil is not there.