Web Video: Tales Of A Homoromantic Ace
Web series originally on YouTube
but now exclusively on blip.tv at http://blip.tv/homoromanticace
. A rather informal but heartfelt vlog-cum-informational-series made by a young woman who identifies as a lesbian asexual in an attempt to educate the Interweb masses on asexuality.
- Abusive Parents: Mentioned with increasing frequency.
- Acting for Two: Acting for four, actually, in “Sh*t Ignorant People Say to This Particular Asexual”.
- Angrish: Sometimes when she’s really pissed off, she’ll just stutter angrily for a bit.
- Asexuality: Of course.
- All Women Are Prudes: Lambasted in “All Women Are Not Demi”.
- Be Yourself: Invoked in “Asexuality and Mental Illness” and “Here’s to a New Year/It Gets Better”.
- Berserk Button: Do NOT tell her asexuality is a disorder, or that she hasn’t met the right person yet. It might be the last thing you ever do.
- Bread, Eggs, Breaded Eggs: From the summary of “Thoughts on Jonah Mowry and Kyra”: “Homophobia, asshattery, or homophobic asshattery”.
- Broken Bird: She comes off as this somewhat during “Asexuality and Mental Illness”. And a bunch of the other videos, really.
- Buffy Speak: Sometimes this happens, since her vlogs are unscripted.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Her reaction to Emilie Autumn’s Tweet that not only claimed that not only was EA not asexual, but implied that asexuals could be fixed by being with a skilled lover.
- Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. Fuck. Fuck! FUCK!
- Dark and Troubled Past: Hinted at in “Asexuality and Mental Illness”.
- Determinator: Her attitude toward asexual visibility.
- Alternatively, her attitude toward life. She has MDD and PTSD, and she grew up in an abusive household. Now she's getting a PHD.
- Epic Rocking: For Valentine’s Day, she wrote a song for her girlfriend that clocks in at 7 minutes 31 seconds.
- Face Palm: She does this often when confronted with things that ignorant people say about asexuality.
- Follow the Leader: She jumped on the “Sh*t [People] Say” bandwagon with “Sh*t Asexuals Say” and “Sh*t Ignorant People Say to This Particular Asexual”.
- Infodump: The first two installments. She even lampshades it.
- Lipstick Lesbian: Actually, she identifies as a “Chapstick Lesbian”.
- Metal Head: She positively adores Otep, and has used Nightwish (power metal) and Three Days Grace (alt-metal/post-grunge) music in other videos.
- Metal Scream: She mentions she was a winner of a metal scream contest held on YouTube by Otep.
- Nice Hat: She has two spiffy fedoras, a black one and a gray plaid one with sparkles.
- Queer Romance: Both she and her girlfriend are homoromantic asexuals.
- No Name Given: You’ll learn her name if you watch some of her other YouTube videos, but it is never revealed in an installment of Tales.
- One of Us: Considering that she uses terms such as Adorkable and Squick, it's probably a safe bet that she has at least a passing familiarity with this site.
- Power Tattoo: She has a gorgeous tattoo on her right hip that reads “indomitable spirit”, which was a promise in permanent ink to herself to never cut herself again.
- Precision F-Strike: The intro to her “It Gets Better” video has a few mild, humorous curses and one Precision F-Strike of “Middle school and high school fuckin’ suck”. And then in the meat of it, we get “[Visibility] isn’t easy. It’s hard. It’s really fucking hard.”
- Self-Backing Vocalist: She does this in her queerness-related filk of the Christmas song “Pat-a-Pan”.
- Serenade Your Lover: She does this as a Valentine’s Day present.
- Shout-Out: To Emilie Autumn, Otep Shamaya and…Elgar?
- Take That Me: “We need more…ugly…people doing visibility work!” when referring to herself in “The Construct of the Unassailable Asexual”.