Web Video: I Am Matthewian
The I Am Matthewian
Project is a spin-off of the popular webcomic turned anime Axis Powers Hetalia
whose main purpose is "eliminating Canada's invisibility". The project began when Canadian playwright and artist Ina-chan
discovered Axis Powers Hetalia
. Finding the comic addictive but less than thrilled with fandom's portrayal of Canada
, she created a parody
of Canada's Really Big
. This led to Canada EH! Episode 1
It was at this point that Ina-chan discovered the personifications of Canada's 13 Provinces and Territories
by fellow Canadian artist ctcsherry
. After obtaining permission from Sherry, Ina-chan incorporated the personifications into the I Am Matthewian Project. The two major projects in progress are Canada EH!—a series of videos mainly dealing with Canada's history—and Fancomic Adaptations
, with a third project in the works.
Interestingly, the writers and actors involved in the I Am Matthewian Project try to avoid directly copying Himaruya's original interpretations of the characters. Instead, they draw from history and personal experience
. It also manages to avoid Fake Nationality
by having a mostly Canadaian voice cast.
Can be seen here
, with its own forum here
, dA page here
, and wiki here
- Action Girl: The Yukon seems to be this. She swings a pick axe and fights with Alaska.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Northwest Territories shoots a hole in Ontario's ceiling...but she does it with a smile!
- Bigger Is Better: The CN Tower Song.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Ontario refers to the CN Tower as his "glorious erection".
- Freud Was Right: In the IAMP December Announcements 2010. Russia and Canada make fun of America's state of Florida, due to it's... rather phallic shape.
- The Gunslinger: Northwest Territories all the way.
- Halloween Episode: A Matthewian Halloween is this.
- Moe Anthropomorphism / Canadian Provinces As People: It is a Hetalia spin-off so it is full of this.
- The Rival: Russia is this to Canada when it comes to Hockey. Oh boy is this ever true.
- Scotland: Nova Scotia, which is actually Latin for New Scotland, shares many characteristics with his “father”. He wears a kilt most of the time, loves his beer, and has a Scottish-like accent. (Ironically, “Bonnie” is actually New Brunswick's human name.)
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Russia and Canada. It's funny, but when they are not beating the ever loving hell out of each other in hockey, the two can be very friendly with one another.... except when Ukraine comes in the picture.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: According to the original drawing Saskatchewan has an extreme fear of heights.