"The secret of running a successful charter operation? It's all about the staff, let me tell you! First you need a reliable pilot, with discernment, smart, well dressed and above all, capable. Then a mechanic that's quick, savvy, resourceful and a team-player. And last but not least, you need a dispatcher and assistant with great people skills, who's dependable and quick on the uptake. I know this all from first hand experience, of course. Because, believe me, I wish somebody would have told me the secret before I hired what I am stuck with now!"Chicken Wings is a webcomic by aviation enthusiasts Michael and Stefan Strassers. It focuses on a small air company Roost Air staffed by anthropomorphic flightless birds. The central characters usually are Giftedly Bad overenthusiastic pilot Chuck and the mechanic Julio, who ends up cleaning the mess. The third employee is a secretary Sally, who ends up doing dispatcher job despite knowing nothing about aviation (or any machinery except coffee maker). The owner is woefully incompetent obese miser Hans. Other characters include clients clueless enough to deal with Roost Air and employees of neighboring (somewhat more efficient) air companies. Most strips are self-contained gags, but occasional storylines may last a few weeks.
— Hans, the owner, forgetting that fish rots from the head down.
Contains examples of:
- Ace Pilot: Chuck. At least in his own mind.
- Always A Bigger Idiot: Chuck's student Jason is even more enthusiastic and obnoxious. Chuck is the only pilot, who can stand him.
- All Just a Dream: This day was just too good to be true.
- Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering?: Chuck and Julio are bored and get an opportunity for some dangerous and irresponsible experiments. Guess what they do? Wrong, they are lazy.
- Author Avatar: Chuck is Michael Strasser, Julio is Stefan Strasser as seen here and here. With a large dose of Self-Deprecation.
- Fully Dressed Cartoon Animal: The entire cast.
- Furry Webcomic: Er... feathery, technically.
- Myth Arc: Building a Corsairnote probably qualifies. It started in the printed comic, predating the web strips. By the start of the web version in 2009 Chuck had a single piston (out of 18). As of mid-2013 he also has wheels, a canopy, a seat, a fuselage, a rusty toolset and 2 right wingsnote .
- Obstructive Bureaucrat: FAA tends to end up like that. Ditto OSHA.
- Pointy-Haired Boss: Hans. Although he isn't evil, and obtained the company by unexpectedly inheriting it.
- Punny Name: Roost Air.
- Running Gag: several:(Chuck says or does something stupid)Radio: Chuck, is that you?
- A Strip In The Limelight: Occasionally the focus shifts from the Roost Air staff to a peripheral character like Captain Ed, who usually appears only to contrast the small and large air carriers. This allows to set a strip outside Cessna range.
- Technobabble: Or just aviation slang. Or technical terms. Or abbreviations and acronyms. Neither Hans, nor Sally would understand anything. Chuck and Julio often (ab)use it, but it creates problems just as often.
- Write What You Know: Currently Mike Strasser is a fire helicopter pilot. Much in the strips relates his experience in previous aviation jobs.