Web Animation: The Legend of Korah
The Legend of Korah
is a Flash animation series
created by the author known as Xela/NFnote
and the same internet community behind Eutopia, the Worlds
The setting is a High Fantasy medieval world
combined with some battle shonen
, making quite a mix of Swords-beating-everything
, glowy energy beams
and "I was testing you by using my left hand"
Korrah, a 15-year-old swordsman
decides to take revenge and stop the evil emperor Nergal from taking over the world. To do so, he must find and recruit the seven other swordsmen
, who wield the legendary weapons needed to defeat him.
It can be seen on Newgrounds here
or NF's YouTube
Considering that it's a team based project, anyone can join in here
.Not to be confused
with The Legend of Korra
This series provides examples of:
- All There in the Manual: There has been quite a lot written and planned in comparison to what has been animated. So there are quite a lot of characters and scenario that can be found nowhere except for BlizzardBlades' Forums.
- Anime Hair
- Annoying Arrows: Inverted. Even when 99% of arrows don't hit, when they do it is quite a serious matter.
- Art Evolution: Just compare the prologue (which used sprites from Fire Emblem) with chapter 4. Chapter 4 still has a few things Off Model, but it's definitely better.
- Awesome but Impractical: Most of the attacks in the series, while awesome looking, seem to do little to no damage. This is probably to make the battles more interesting (see Flynning bellow)
- Because Destiny Says So: Everything goes pretty much along the way of a legend.
- Boring Invincible Hero: subverted, possibly in response to the Mary Sue characterization. Korah defeats Snow 3 TIMES without a problem. Of course Snow let him win, though Korah still showed no difficulty in defeating him, despite the years of training Snow has. After those fights, they battle separately against a group of bandits that try to rob them, which can be considered their first real battle. Even when Korah started smoothly, he is suddenly hit by an arrow. The blood lost from the arrow-hit renders him unable to keep on fighting, something Korah doesn't understand, as he believed he should be winning.
- Characterization Marches On: Korah at the very beginning was a Mary Sue and an Author Avatar. note . See Boring Invincible Hero explanation above.
- Conservation of Ninjutsu: Against the bandits.
- Debut Queue: How the introduction of the main swordsmen is planned out.
- Doomed Hometown / Rape, Pillage, and Burn: Korah's village
- Elemental Powers:
- Elves Versus Other Elves: On a weird subversion, the Neodammerai and Angeli hate each other to death (as a matter of fact, they were in war), even when both species are wise and pacifistic.
- Evil Chancellor And General: Nergal.
- Fantastic Racism: Neodammerai and Angelis hate each other to death. Humans wanted the fur from the Angelis (as it was magical), so they hunted them down; almost to extinction. Neodammerai think lower of the other species like humans, not in a violent way of course, but they believe themselves superiors.
- Fisher King: The Kingdom was governed by a good and noble king, making it noble as well. When the Evil Chancellor kills the king and takes his place, it becomes The Empire. It is said that the way to return to peace is to kill Nergal, so this applies.
- Five Races: Has 3 out of the 5 most common types.
- Flynning: 90 % of the Battles are made of people countering beams with beams, or hitting each other's swords.
- Hard Work Hardly Works: Korah learns in seconds techniques Snow took years to master. It's brought to attention by Snow.
- Infinity+1 Sword: The Legendary Sword.
- I Let You Win: Snow lost on purpose to Korah the entire time. The author regrets this, as Snow is supposed to be stronger than Korah and the wrong impression was given.
- It Was a Gift: Korah's sword.
- Last of His Kind: Korah and Snow. Subverted shortly after in the case of Snow.
- Light Is Not Good: Nergal wears a white outfit to show his "purity".
- Magnificent Seven
- Meaningful Name: Snow Taradien, Korah, et al.
- Only the Chosen May Wield: The seven or eight legendary swords.
- Recruit Teenagers with Attitude: Most of the chosen ones are quite young.
- Restored My Faith in Humanity: Snow
- RPG Elements
- Saving the World
- Sliding Scale of Anthropomorphism: In two flavours, 10% and 50%.
- Similarly Named Works To The Legend of Korra.
- The Obi-Wan: Snow. Word of God states that it's actually a subversion. Snow isn't actually dead when he is first "Killed". Making this more of a non humorous Bait and Switch
- The Chosen One: The sacred swords can only be wielded by ones they choose to wielded them. This makes all seven swordsmen chosen ones.
- Teleport Spam