Web Animation: The Ballad Of Mike Haggar
The Ballad of Mike Haggar
is a video game compilation video telling the awesome story of Final Fight
's Mayor of Metro City (not related to another Metro City
), the eponymous Mike Haggar, as he tries and cleans his beloved city of the criminal scum that has taken it over. It displays an awesome voiceover
, as well as a great video editing. Plus, the ending is AWESOME
Contains examples of:
- A God I Am Not: Haggar refuses to lead the Einherjar in Ragnarok, choosing instead to return to Earth and save Metro City.
"The path before Haggar was clear, / His duty was to end the Gear, / And thus he shunned this godly war, / Mayor was he, and nothing more.
- Ambadassador: Clearly, Haggar decided to resort to a different sort of diplomacy when negotiations failed.
- And the Adventure Continues: After all of that build up, you find out that Haggar has only finished Round 3 of Final Fight. He still has to plow through the Industrial Area, Bay Area, and Up Town.
"And so, pursuing evil's scent, / Haggar strode forth, his wrath unspent, / And I, your faithful balladeer, / Cry out in zealous joy, 'Round Clear!'"
- Also doubles as an Untwist for reasons set out below.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: He's the town's Mayor, and if he has to give a knuckle sandwich to every single criminal in the city himself, by damn, he will.
- Badass: Mike Haggar, obviously.
- Badass Mustache: Obviously.
- Badass Normal: Note that this doesn't stop him from piledriving a god.
- Contractual Immortality: He's the main character, and, as such, can't stay dead. Even if it means piledriving ODIN out of Valhalla. From space.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: What did you expect? It pretty much turns into a Mook Horror Show for the Mad Gear Gang.
- Demoted to Extra: Cody and Guy (key players in the actual game, Cody being the one who punches Belger out of the window of his complex in the finale) get a small, demeaning mention toward the tale's end. In this case, not a sour note for this ballad. This IS Haggar's story, after all.
"This is not the ballad of Guy
, / Saviours weak and frail and bony, / If you'll think back, and not too far, / Recall that I speak of Mike Haggar!"
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: Haggar piledrives Odin after he tries to force him to fight at his side on Ragnarok.
- Dirty Cop: Edi. E. His reasons? "Money."
- Every Man Has His Price: Except for Haggar, obviously.
- Hero Killer: Edi. E. It doesn't last for long.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: The narration spares no time in getting you up to speed with the events of the first Final Fight. Even Edi. E's Face-Heel Turn (played here as a shocking twist) shouldn't be a surprise to those who have played the game before.
- Memetic Badass: Haggar, in-universe and out.
- Meteor Move: Type B, quite literally.
- One-Man Army: Ladies and gentlemen, Mike Haggar.
- Our Mayor is Different: This one is a bit more straightforward in how he goes about reducing the monthly crime rate.
- Papa Wolf: Haggar will not idly stand by while his city is under attack. Doubly so if you kidnap his daughter Jessica.
- Rated M for Manly: MIKE HAGGAR.
- Rhymes on a Dime: The Narrator is quite fond of this.
- Something Awful: Created as part of a contest for the Something Awful forums to document Stage 3 of Final Fight in an artistic manner.
- Vice City: Metro City was this... until Haggar kicked everyone's ass.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: That Meteor Move noted above? Upon re-entry, it results in an nuketastic explosion that wipes out several Mad Gear members and Edi. E. The move itself also counts.
- Trying to Catch Me Fighting Dirty: Edi. E takes advantage of his status as a Flunky Boss by shooting Haggar while he's dealing with some Mooks.
- Wrestler in All of Us: Subverted. Haggar is a former pro wrestler (as detailed in Saturday Night Slam Masters) and he uses those skills he cultivated to clean up crime. Mercilessly.