Amelia Bedelia is not a native speaker of English.It's the only way that she can suffer from such chronic Blunt Metaphors Trauma and still have gainful employment.
- Seemingly Jossed by the Young Amelia Bedelia books, which clearly present her as an all-American girl.
Amelia Bedelia has Asperger syndrome.This mild form of autism is the other major cause of Blunt Metaphors Trauma. Other people have noticed this.
- This makes a lot of sense, as the books are sometimes used to teach idioms to children with Asperger syndrome.
- The book is also very popular with kids who have Asbergers for this very reason: they find her deliberate misinterpretation of figures of speech even more hysterical.
Amelia Bedelia actually does understand the directions she's givenShe just deliberately bothers by the book as revenge against employers who have given ambiguous instructions and reprimanded her for following them.
- One could assume that most of the time she obeys instructions with perfect understanding, it's just that from time to time she sees fit to take revenge, for her own amusement (the ingredients and recipes for her amnesty-inducing treats are procured in advance.)
- An amusing idea, but again, if you accept the Young Amelia Bedelia books as canon, it's not so. She really does just take things literally.
Amelia Bedelia is having an affair with Mr. Rogers.You don't think cookies alone are a good enough reason to keep someone like that around, do you?
- A fanfic has explained why he wouldn't enjoy it even if he did.
Amelia Bedelia makes even better cookies than the books imply.
Amelia Bedelia is having an affair with Ms. Frizzle
- You mean to say Amelia Bedelia is a Time Lady?
Amelia Bedelia is a distant relative of Baldrick