visual novel complete with voice acting, conceptualized by Fivetail
is an Alternate Universe
starring John Egbert
and various other Homestuck characters as birdpeople, or more accurately, human/troll-bird hybrids
. John is a humble Perch, a passive, independent, and nomadic class, who is best friends with Vriska
, a stronger, fiercer Hunter. They live in the Strata, a homestead consisting of the dark and damp Understory, the brighter Canopy and the windy upper-class heights of the Emergent.
When John Egbert carelessly treads the forbidden reaches of the Forest Floor
, however, he finds that it shelters more than a few treacherous secrets about the place he was once proud to call home
The first chapter was released on 4/13
and the second was slotted to be released on 6/12
, but postponed to some time in July. The third game was released on October 10, 2014. The first three chapters are downloadable here
. More information is available on the main website
, where queries may also be submitted for more background information and world building.
Featherbent provides examples of the following tropes:
- All There in the Manual: The site provides extra information on the Featherbent universe, such as which birds each character is modeled after.
- Alternate Universe Fic
- Ambidextrous Sprite: Comes with the Territory.
- An Aesop: In Arc 1 Chapter 1, Vriska states: "Live for the people who are here for you, not for the people who could be."
- Anime Hair: Everyone.
- Arc Words: "Don't look down."
- Arc Number: Just like the original series, the numbers 413 and 612 are numbers that seem to pop up over and over again.
- Badass Boast: To no one's surprise, Vriska likes these a lot.
Vriska: Wouldn't have made a name for myself out here will all these other hunters. Wouldn't have won this nest in the fight against the poor sucker who had it before. Heck, I wouldn't have been able to defend it this long! Not that it's a surprise people keep challenging me for it. I mean, look how sweet this setup is!!!!!!!!
- Black Comedy: John decides to give Karkat a good impression by saying, "If I was dying, I'd do it somewhere way more hilarious. Like up in a Canopy fountain or something. Then I'd become a ghost and haunt it until they renamed it after me. Look, all I'm saying is that this is a really crummy place to die and you probably should have thought this through a little more."
- CallBack: Many of the visual novel's key elements are an automatic call back to the original work.
- Color-Coded Characters: Thanks to the Fantastic Caste System, the universe's inhabitants (Hunters in particular) follow a Law of Chromatic Superiority.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Karkat.
John: You can keep your tragic, mysterious past to yourself, dude, fact of the matter is you could probably use a muffin.
- Dare to Be Badass: Vriska says this to John, telling him to show some "goddamn independence" and "show [Dad] you can do just fine on your own!"
- Deadpan Snarker: Karkat.
Karkat: I fucking love cranberries.
- Easing Into the Adventure: John starts his adventure preparing for an annual celebration. No big deal, right?
- The Faceless: Terezi Pyrope.
- Genre Savvy: John questions the existence of a lake considering they live in a forest... and, for the most part, in midair.
- Hair Flip: About three seconds into her introduction, Vriska gives "an unwitting toss of silky raven hair".
- Half-Human Hybrid: All of the characters are a form of bird hybrid.
- The Hero's Birthday: April 13th (4/13) is John's "preparation day".
- Human Outside, Alien Inside: Hunters are different from Perches, as they are biologically predisposed to only 12 specific feather colorings, despite being outwardly identical to Perches in every other aspect.
- Idiot Hero: John Egbert.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Vriska Serket.
- Leitmotif: All main characters have individual themes specific to them.
- Breeze, Johnís Theme.
- Flightless, Karkatís Theme.
- Abrasive, Vriskaís Theme.
- Meet Cute: John and Karkat's first meeting doesn't go all that well.
- This is mainly in Karkat's opinion however, considering he gave him a rather Chilly Reception.
- Messy Hair: Vriska implies this is one of the reasons why no one will go out with John. Among other things.
- Recurring Riff: The menu theme contains sections from various other in-game themes.
- Romance Game
- Scenery Porn: 'Nuff said.
- Ship Tease: Word of God says that Vriska with Dave and Dirk with Jade are apparently on the horizon.
- Shout-Out: Did someone say Cuil Theory?
- When Karkat questions Tavros about his life before being banished, you have three ways of responding to his answers: Truth, Doubt, or Lie.
- Sky Pirate: Gotta have your pirates.
- Stealth Expert: May also double as a Badass Boast. John apparently snuck past the Imperial Guards with his sharp maneuvering skills through a dangerous path without being harmed, as he is "the best flyer [he] knows."
- The Exile: Karkat. It's also hinted that there are others in the Floor.
- Wall of Text: For the first game, there's quite a bit of exposition involved.
- X Meets Y: Homestuck meets Hatoful Boyfriend, essentially.