Shining Soul was the eleventh game in the Shining Series and featured yet another change in Genre. Instead of being a first person dungeon crawler or a strategy title it was an action role-playing game with a third person view, closer to Shining Wisdom. Gameplay wise it was a Hack and Slash affair. Released in 2002 the game quickly saw a sequel Shining Soul II in 2003.The plot for the first title was simple. There is this evil Dragon called "Dark Dragon" who is destroying the mystical land of Rune. However when all hope was lost four heroes appeared and fought the beast. You choose which of the four heroes you get to play as and that's the whole plot.The Plot for Shining Soul II is slightly more complicated. Years after the original title the defeat of Dark Dragon has caused the balance of light and darkness to be disrupted. Causing a sudden resurgence of darkness throughout the world. Meanwhile a group known as Chaos Knights seek to conqueror the world. The player must choose one of nine classes and save the world.
Contains Examples of the following tropes:
- Affably Evil: Darksol.
- Awesome, but Impractical
- Balance Between Good and Evil: Focus of the second game.
- Black Magic: Armand the Dark Wizard.
- Changing Clothes Is a Free Action: Averted. Opening menus doesn't interrupt gameplay, so be sure not do to it around enemies.
- Combat Medic
- Dungeon Shop
- Living Statue: A few attack you in the first game.
- Menu Time Lockout
- Pre Existing Encounters
- Sealed Evil in a Can: The aim of the first game.
- Sinister Scythe: A very popular choice in weapon for the Mooks.
- Stone Wall
- Unexpected Gameplay Change