It was a late autumn night when a pale light descended from the night sky that only a scent few have noticed. The following morning, Tobari, the chief hall monitor of her school, arrived to the school's preparation of their culture festival to find her friend, Hina, not wearing her school uniform. Later that afternoon, many students gathered and the sky suddenly grew dark and dusk-like, like something out of a fairy tale as time leapt forward. Amidst the chaos, Hina began to act strangely and head away from the school. With that, Tobari began her adventure on the night of the curious moon
.Tobari and the Night of the Curious Moon
, also known as Fushigi na Tsuki no Yoru no Tobari
, is a platforming game
by Desunoya. If you were to take Super Mario Bros. and blend it with Kirby
with a touch of Moe
, your result would likely be this doujin platformer; the gameplay is reminiscent to Super Mario Bros.
yet our heroine Tobari can use the magical powers of her enemies by whacking them with her Keystaff.
The game was first released in Japan (obviously) during Comiket 81 for Windows PC, and later received an official English release on DLsite's English website; the localization credits includes Mauve, a programer of Gensokyo.org
who also worked on the Fan Translation
of some of the Touhou
games and HELLSINKER
. You can find the English version on DLsite here
. The game's English webpage and its trial version can also be found here
.This page could use some wiki magic love.
This game features examples of:
- Character Name and the Noun Phrase
- Charge Attack: The Magic Missile spell can be charged up to make the shoots travel faster and further instead moving slowly and dropping down afterwards.
- Double Jump: Tobari can do one with the Air Bound power, though the second jump is activated by the attack command instead of simply pressing jump again.
- Dream Land: The world around Tobari has been turned into one.
- Elemental Powers: Some of the magic-casting use them, which Tobari can also borrow with her Keystaff.
- Goomba Springboard: Much like in the Super Mario Bros. games, Tobari can bounce off enemies higher by holding down the jump button.
- Let's Play: One has been done by LP'er Mindez for the game's English release. You can find part 1 of his here.
- Life Meter
- Magic Staff: The Keystaff used by Tobari.
- Point-and-Click Map: The World Select screen à la the classic Super Mario Bros. games.
- Power Copying: Our heroine can gain different powers by striking certain enemies with her Keystaff.
- Spring Jump: Some stages have springboards for you to jump to higher places.