The Starship Damrey
"Welcome, Mister Guest."
is a downloadable Nintendo 3DS horror
created by Level-5
as part of the Guild02
series. It was released in Japan on March 27, 2013, and in North America and Europe on May 16, 2013. On May 17, 2013, a sequel called The Starship Damrey Chapter II
was announced for worldwide release on May 16, 2014, alongside a third game called The Starship Damrey Chapter III
, to be released May 17, 2015.
The premise is simple: You awaken from cryo sleep on the Starship Damrey, only to find yourself unable to leave your pod. By controlling a robot, you are able to traverse the ship, and as you try to find a way to leave the cryo-pod, you slowly begin to uncover the truth behind the events on the Starship Damrey. But a mysterious figure stalks the halls of the ship, hinting that you may not be alone...
The game contains no tutorials and no explanations, both as a throwback to adventure games of old and as a way to illustrate how truly lost you are on the ship.
Note that most of the tropes are spoiler-city, as The Ending Changes Everything
This game provides examples of:
- The Alcoholic: Bobby drinks frequently, according to the captain's notes. You can even find a bottle of whiskey hidden in his room.
- All Love Is Unrequited: Large loved Nick, who likely did not reciprocate due to Incompatible Orientation. The Captain thinks Mei Ling also loved Nick, but was too professional to do anything about it. And the Captain himself loved Alex, but died before he was able to express his feelings for her.
- All There in the Manual: Progressing through the game unlocks profiles for the crew members, and beating it unlocks information about the setting and some important parts of it. Hsving a Guild-01 game on your 3DS unlocks a bonus story about the origin of the Space Leeches.
- Almost Dead Guy: Abdul. You must fulfill his last request for some water.
- An Axe to Grind: AR-08 attacks you with an axe when you try to get through the storage room. You defeat it by throwing hot oil on it.
- Bolivian Army Ending: Nick has to defeat the Keplarian, which he doubts that he can do. And he only has one hour to do it, and then the ship self-destructs. His fate is left unclear.
- Five-Token Band: The crew of the Damrey is made up of people from a wide variety of ethnicites and nationalities. Likely justified, as they're probably the best from all over the world.
- Examining one of the beds tells you, "Sleep is important for humans." This hints that you aren't a human.
- You aren't one of the crew. Since you know Keplarians are on board, there's only one thing you could be.
- Abdul tells you that a Keplarian went crazy. But since the Keplarian you meet only escapes its pod after he dies, there has to be another one on the ship.
- Incompatible Orientation: Large was in love with Nick, but Nick seems to have only liked women. It might not have been so humiliating if the computer hadn't found this out and then blabbed it to everyone.
- Jump Scare: This game certainly loves them.
- When you find Bobby's body, you're moving down a hallway and then BAM there it is.
- After you leave the common room for the first time, the Mysterious Girl pops up right in your face. It turns out this was orchestrated by Nicolas to try to freak you out and get you to stop exploring the ship.
- "You are not authorized to investigate this locker." Abdul falls out the locker into your face.
- Hero Antagonist: Nick is impeding your progress, but it's because he wants to protect humanity from you.
- Old Save Bonus: An extra post-game scene for anyone who owns another Guild01 game (Liberation Maiden, Crimson Shroud, or Aero Porter).
- Nice Hat: The Mysterious Girl wears a rather awesome hat. It also hides most of her face.
- The Reveal:
- After you finally unlock your cryo-pod, a Keplarian hand reaches out.
- After the credits, it is revealed that Second Lieutenant Nicolas Weaver is still alive, and has been controlling AR-08, the crane, and the Mysterious Girl.
- Shout-Out: To 2001: A Space Odyssey. In the epilogue, SAM tells Nick he is not authorized to cut the Keplarian's connection to AR-07 in a manner similar to HAL's famous quote.
- Sole Survivor: Subverted. While for most of the game, you appear to be the lone survivor—Almost Dead Guy Abdul excluded—Alex and Nick are still safely asleep in their Cryo-Pods.
- Standard Snippet: The zero-G scene, naturally, is underscored by "On the Beautiful Blue Danube."
- Tomato in the Mirror: You are actually a Keplarian who was trapped in the cryo-pod. It was you who killed the crew of the Starship Damrey.
- Villain Protagonist: You are the Keplarian that killed most of the crew of the Starship Damrey.
- Weaksauce Weakness: According to the bonus story about the Space Leeches, fire and cutting it up will do nothing to stop a Space Leech... but simple disinfectant vaporizes them.