Video Game: The Adventures Of Massmouth
A series of humorous Game Mods
by Cyb, beginning with The Adventures of MassMouth
(2000), followed by MassMouth 2
(2003). A prequel, Massmouthmas
, was released in 2004.
The series features Massmouth, a green, one-eyed alien in the employ of an intergalactic magnate, The Worm, who loves collecting unique and valuable artifacts
. Massmouth is one of the men tasked with retrieving stuff for The Worm
from a variety of planets, and such quests are what the original The Adventures of MassMouth
consists of.MassMouth 2
, boasting a more complex storyline, sees The Worm's base attacked by mysterious invaders and The Worm kidnapped, prompting Massmouth to head out to rescue his boss. Massmouthmas
is a "Christmas special" puzzle level.
Note that Massmouth was originally a skin
for Quake II
by Stephen Monteith.
The mods are designed for the game port ZDoom
. (Unfortunately, the latest versions of ZDoom appear to have some compatibility problems which may make certain parts unpassable without cheats.)
Tropes featured in the entire series:
- CamelCase: Variable—the author sometimes spells the protagonist's name as "MassMouth", and sometimes simply as "Massmouth".
- Cyclops: Massmouth. He also appears as a bot in Skulltag (a Doom source port focused on multiplayer) where one of his lines is a complaint about his lack of peripheral vision.
- The Worm (whose appearance is taken from Half-Life: Opposing Force's Pit Worm.)
- Idiot Hero: Massmouth doesn't seem to be very bright. Especially visible in Massmouth 2, where his lines are basically mostly "what?" or "uh?"
- Nintendo Hard: MassMouth 2, as well as the later parts of The Adventures of MassMouth. Oooh boy. The enemies aren't numerous, but they have a lot of health, hit really hard, all while ammo is very scarce.
- Reference Overdosed: There are a lot of direct quotes and shout-outs (for example, the Worm's employees have names like Freeman and Spock). Furthermore, many of the enemies and characters include real-life persons or are taken straight out of other games, such as Half-Life, though they're given different names.
- Species Surname: The Worm, though it might be just a nickname.
Tropes in The Adventures of Massmouth:
Tropes in Massmouth 2: