is a Platform Game
designed by the Bitmap Brothers
. Originally released for the Amiga
and Atari ST
in 1991, it was ported to the IBM Personal Computer
, Super Nintendo Entertainment System
and Sega Genesis
. There is a lost city populated by evil, and by defeating this evil the titular gods will allow you to ascend to godhood yourself.
Unlike most other platformers, the focus lies not on dodging and jumping, but on complex puzzles involving pulling levers, or taking items to the right spot. You defend yourself from the plethora of enemies by throwing lots of weapons (e.g. three spears and two fireballs at the same time).
Includes tropes such as:
- A Winner Is You - as you win in the PC version, you get two lines of text and a handful of extra lives, and are sent back to level one (because you're immortal now and have nothing better to do with your time). The Genesis version does have a proper ending.
- Excuse Plot - there is no reference in the game whatsoever to the titular gods.
- Guide Dang It - you'll get bonuses in random places for arbitrary reasons. Good luck figuring that out. Also, good luck figuring out how to get the best weapon for the final boss.
- Not the Fall That Kills You - falls over a certain height are lethal.
- Power Up Let Down - the 'wide arc' powerup spreads your weapons in, well, a wide arc, which severely limits your forward firepower. Also, the mace weapon, which has inferior damage but is the only way to remove certain walls.