, developed by Insomniac Games
, is a Co-Op Third-Person Shooter
released on May 28, 2013 for the Xbox360 and Playstation3 and published by Electronic Arts
. It has the distinction of being Insomniac's first multi-platform game
. Set Twenty Minutes into the Future
, FUSE follows the exploits of Overstrike 9
, a four-man team of operatives who's routine assignment quickly turns into a weapons theft by a mercenary group called Raven
, forcing them into a race around the globe to contain a weapon that could, in the wrong hands, wipe out all of civilization
Much of the game's story and mechanics revolve around an alien substance known as Fuse
, which is able to bond (or "fuse", if you will
) with any element, drastically
changing it's properties. In gameplay this takes the form of Xenotech Weaponry
, a special primary weapon unique to each member of Overstrike 9 that they acquire early on. As per Insomniac's usual modus operanti
, each weapon is varying levels of both crazy and awesome
. Beyond Xenotech the rest of the game's arsenal is limited to basic, generic weaponry
Gameplay follows the usual third person cover-based shooter routine, but with the addition of character leveling and perk progression
for each agent as well as the ability to "LEAP" between agents
in the middle of combat at will
as long as they aren't controlled by another player. Though intended as a Co-Op game, all four team members of Overstrike 9 are always present, and those not controlled by players are instead taken over by the game's AI. The quality of your AI squadmates is debatable
Overstrike 9 consists of:
Alongside the game's main campaign is also "Echelon", a horde mode where the player characters Hold the Line
against increasingly difficult waves of enemies. Like the main campaign, Echelon is be played solo or with drop-in-drop-out multiplayer. Agent progression is, mercifully, symmetric across both modes.
This game provides examples of:
- All There in the Manual: Most of Jacob and Izzy's backstory, along with details of Raven's operations, schematics for Xenotech weapon and the like can be found on Intel datapads during missions in the game.
- And Your Reward Is Clothes: Character skins and skins for Xenotech weapons can be unlocked via spending FUSE Credits, but they can only be used in Echelon.
- Attack Its Weak Point: All of the bosses suffer from this to varying degrees.
- Band of Brothers
- Battle in the Center of the Mind: The boss fight with Ivan Sovlenko plays out as this, with Sovlenko injecting himself with Fuse and invading Overstrike 9's minds.
- Beam Spam: The Maelstrom.
- Sovlenko during his boss battle also counts.
- Big Screwed-Up Family: On one side of the coin we have Naya Deveraux, expert assassin and Overstrike agent. On the other side we have Luther Deveraux, her father and the man that taught her everything that she knows, who just so happens to be one of the more higher ranking members of Raven. Their relationship is complicated.
- Boom, Headshot: Headshots are an instant kill with the Arcshot and Harbinger, and deal increased damage with other weapons. Investing in the right upgrades can make other weapons kill with a single headshot.
- Boring but Practical: All of the guns in the game that aren't Xenotech fall into this. Each agent can carry a primary weapon and a sidearm alongside their special weapon, and ammo is plentiful.
- Cosmetically Different Sides: Raven and Fable's men look exactly the same, save for different armor colors. It's not even a drastic reskin, with the former being mostly white and the latter being yellow and grey.
- Deadpan Snarker: All of Overstrike 9, but Dalton wins by a long shot.
- Defector from Decadence: Dalton used to work for Raven, until they tried to kill him.
- Deflector Shields: Dalton's Magshield. Later in the game enemy Riot Troopers replace their riot shields with these as well.
- Raven's Elite Soldiers are covered head-to-toe in blue shields and can only be damaged by Xenotech weaponry.
- Degraded Boss: Fairly common.
- Development Gag: The team is named "Overstrike 9". The game's original title was Overstrike.
- Enemy Civil War: After stealing the Fuse for himself Fable recruits half of Raven's number over to his side. In the Jodhpur Stronghold Overstrike 9 actually arrives at the start of a full-scale assault on Raven's position by Fable's men. Not that it's easy to tell.
- Evil All Along: Senator William Fable is revealed to be working with Raven at the end of the first mission.
- Faceless Goons: All of Raven's soldiers suffer from this.
- Fiery Redhead: Izzy
- Four Man Army
- Future Copter: The Whistler, which is a small, fast moving VTOL style attack craft.
- Oddly enough, the Whistler appears alongside the Bloodhawk, which is just you stock helicopter.
- I Have Many Names: One Raven datapad reveals that "Oculus" has several confirmed aliases, but his real identity is unknown.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Jacob's Arcshot can pin enemies to walls.
- Invisibility Cloak: Naya's special ability.
- Luckily My Shield Will Protect Me: Raven Riot Troopers, who always attack in groups and move in formation. There's also the magshield used by Dalton and the Order of Grigori riot troopers.
- Mildly Military: Overstrike 9 in a nutshell. There appears to be no formal ranks and organization to the group beyond "Dalton is the one in charge", and even then the rest of the team override his decisions at various points in the game. In most missions the team also doesn't sport any type of common uniform, with Izzy going so far as to just wear a t-shirt with a leather jacket over it in most missions.
- Mini Mecha: The Raven Leadfire, Leadfoot and Leadshots are part Powered Armor, part bullet sponge.
- The Enforcer is also an example, but that one is just a strait-up robot.
- Then there's Fable in the final boss battle.
- Mission Control: Oculus, Overstrike 9's apparent employer, acts as this.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Some of the Takedowns and Stealth Kills are this, with some more brutal than others.
- Regenerating Health
- Spy Catsuit: One is worn by Meilin Mao. It can be unlocked for both Naya in Izzy to wear in Echelon.
- Super Prototype: Overstike 9's Xenotech weapons. As the game goes on Raven personnel are seen using xenotech weapons of their own, but they don't even come close to matching the power of the original Hyperion prototypes.
- Take Cover
- The Unseen: Oculus
- Voice with an Internet Connection: Oculus
- We Use To Be Lovers: During his time with Raven Dalton and Meilin Mao were dating. They were technically still dating when Raven ordered Mao to assassinate Dalton after he left the organization.
- Zerg Rush: Most large-scale firefights involves Raven throwing lots of guys at the players at once. The worst offenders are the Seekers, which are small insect-like robots that attack in swarms and can climb along the walls and ceiling.