Video Game: FAST Racing League
FAST Racing League is a futuristic racing game for similar in style to the F-Zero series and made by developer Shin'en, creators of Jett Rocket, for WiiWare. The main feature of the game is the ability to "phase shift" or change the color of your car from white to black, which allows you to take advantage of different parts of the track, matching the phase of your car to the phase of the track gives bonuses such as boosts and jumps, not matching your phase on the other hand can slow down your car or even send it careening to it's death.Like Shin'en's previous WiiWare game, FAST Racing League manages to cram an impressive amount of graphics and gameplay into so just 40 megabytes of data, pushing the Wii to it's limits.
FAST Racing League provides examples of:
- Death Is a Slap on the Wrist: Dying by falling off the course or hitting an obstacle only sets you back a few places rather than making your forfeit the race.
- Genius Programming: It really is impressive how much Shin'en managed to fit into this game.
- Gratuitous Japanese: Many of the opposing racers names are in Japanese as are the course and league names.
- Nintendo Hard
- Nitro Boost: Matching your phase with the colored areas of the track gives you this, you can also trigger one at any time for the cost of five energy units.
- One-Hit-Point Wonder: Aside from the walls or other cars hitting any obstacle on the course instantly destroys your car.
- Spiritual Successor: to F-Zero and Ikaruga.