Video Game / D/Generation
An Action Game
for home computers published by Mindscape in 1991, D/Generation
takes place in the year 2021 at a genetics research facility based in Singapore
. You play a courier armed with a laser gun who is charged with delivering a package to a man named Derrida, CEO of Genoq. In the course of doing this you battle genetic experiments and save employees of the company (or ignore them, or kill them, or allow them to die
), never straying from your mission to deliver the package.
This game contains examples of:
- 1-Up: One for each civilian you save.
- Abandoned Laboratory
- Apathetic Citizens: They just want to get out of there. The first one you meet even tries to convince you to sit tight and let someone else figure out what's going on.
- Chest Monster: The C/Generations disguise themselves as normal office equipment or survivors until you walk up to them. The ones in human form have only one "tell". If you use an explosive nearby, they won't shiver like real humans do.
- Deflector Shields: One variety of power-up is temporary invincibility, represented by giving your character sprite a mosaic blur-like filter.
- Drone of Dread: The gameplay soundtrack is pretty much this exclusively.
- Fan Remake/Fan Sequel: rE/Generation, developed for the Retro Remakes 2004 Competition.
- Hacking Minigame: Kind of.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: When multiple security turrets are in a room, you can sometimes run between them and lure them into shooting each other. Helps conserve grenades.
- Isometric Projection
- Limited Sound Effects: And music too (see Drone of Dread above).
- Lock and Key Puzzle
- Locked Door: Though you can use bombs on them.
- Mook Maker: Air ducts in the floor spawn A/Generations and B/Generations when you approach. Run over a duct to secure it.
- One-Hit-Point Wonder: Applies to you, civilians, and weaker enemies. Turrets and later foes require a shot of heavier ordnance.
- Only Smart People May Pass: A computer asks for a password. The only hint is a vague phrase from an NPC.
- Pinball Projectile: Your main weapon.
- Reality Warper: The D/Generation
- Timed Mission: The last quarter of the game gives you 20 minutes to win. Genoq has dispatched a bomber to destroy the building and remove all evidence of the bioweapons. This is unlikely to kill you, however — the D/Generation will take care of that first.
- Time Stands Still: One item temporarily freezes time for everything except you. However, this also means that you can't toggle switches until the effect wears off.
- Trick Shot Puzzle: Lasers can activate doors.