is a Steam Punk
-flavored Third Person Shooter
with strong platforming elements
developed by Blue Omega Entertainment and published by Codemasters
in 2009 for PC
, Xbox 360
and PlayStation 3
It's an alternate early 20th century
where The American Civil War
has dragged on for decades, and steam engines rule the day. A powerful businessman, Lord Prescott
, whose company Prescott Standard Industries supplies deadly weapons to both sides
, has decided that he would like to Take Over the World
. To that end, his armies begin a campaign of conquest across the western US.
The player takes the role of rugged frontiersman Hamilton Rourke,
whose small band of resistance fighters
, the Peacemakers, are attempting to stop Prescott from steamrolling
While primarily a Third Person Shooter
, the game featured frequent jumping and climbing segments
similar to Uncharted
, including gun-fighting while suspended possibly several hundred feet in the air.
The levels were massive
, to the point where most of the game was spent simply getting from one place to another, while fighting, climbing and riding high speed steam-bikes.Despite looking and seeming very cool, the actual game fell flat, and garnered mostly negative reviews. Damnation's
failure forced its development studio, Blue Omega, to shut down a month after the game's release.
Tropes that appear in Damnation
- Abnormal Ammo: Why fire bullets when you can fire railroad spikes?
- Alternate History: Specifically, an early 20th century where The American Civil War drags on, and combustion engines never took off- instead, steam powers everything.
- Blood Knight: Happens to anyone who becomes infected with the "Serum"
- BFG: The Automan Cannon, a revolving launcher that fires nitroglycerin-tipped rockets.
- Cool Airship: The Corsair, a small, maneuverable craft with dual envelopes and six maneuvering propellers. It serves as the Peacemakers' home and headquarters. Comes complete with a set of steam gliders.
- Cool Bike: The steam motorcycles (and tricycle) that the crew ride, which among other things are capable of reaching speeds of about 160 MPH and driving sideways on walls.
- Defector from Decadence: Professor Charles Winslow, formerly of Prescott Standard Industries. The last straw was converting Automen for military use- he'd intended them to help reconstruction efforts. He designed a lot of other tech including the bikes, the Corsair, and Autorevolvers.
- Development Hell: Damnation began as a total conversion mod for Unreal Tournament 2004. It missed its original scheduled release date by several months and was released in an obviously unfinished state.
- Fun with Acronyms: PSI for Prescott Standard Industries. Those who know their steam might recognize that it also stands for Pounds per Square Inch.
- Hand Cannon: The multi-chamber revolver probably counts, but there's the Golden Eagle: a double-barreled, .729 caliber hand-shotgun. And not a Sawed Off Shotgun, either- a shotgun in the shape of a Hand Cannon. The Vorpal Mechanical Repeater is an even better example, being what looks like a flaregun that instagibs anyone hit by the shot (of course, it's only unlockable with a cheat code).
- Historical In-Joke: During the Opening Narration, a newspaper that primarily displays that PSI is now the exclusive weapons supplier also reads "Inventors Edison, Tesla charged with sedition"
- Killer Robot: "Automen", coal-fired, steel-armored walking tanks that come armed with repeating cannons, that apparently have miniaturized Babbage engines for brains. At one point, the heroes make use of a damaged one to clear some rubble, opening the way forward.
- La Résistance: Rourke and his allies.
- Magical Native American: Yakecan.
- More Dakka: This game has not one but two steam-powered automatics: The Revenant Gun delivers high damage, while the PSI machine gun has a blistering fire rate. The latter even has two separate pressure canisters, one to power the firing mechanism and another for the magazine feed.
- Nice Hat: Rourke. This also goes for Prescott's Mooks. All of them. This game isn't short on Nice Hats.
- Outside Ride: The trikes have rear rollcages that double as handlebars, allowing your AI buddies to provide you with cover fire.
- Psycho Serum: The "Serum", which grants the user increased strength. It also tends to make them rather Ax Crazy.
- Revolvers Are Just Better: Especially when they have four cylinders. And are semi-automatic, besides.
- Sniper Rifle: The Dark Seraph Rifle. Steam-powered. Yes.
- Steam Punk: Though Darker and Edgier. Word Of God is they dropped the "whimsical surface decoration" typical of the genre and designed weapons and machines built to withstand a brutal frontier world. Damn near everything runs on steam, including many of the guns.
- Stripperiffic: Yakecan has one of the least practical outfits◊ in video game history. Unsurprisingly, she showed up in a lot of "girls of gaming" articles in 2008/2009.
- Title Drop: "From the lawless chaos, a new power arose, and spread across the land, leading us all... into Damnation."