Angry Birds Go!
is a racing Spin-Off
of the Angry Birds
franchise, most notably it's the first completely 3D game in the series.
The story goes simply that the pigs are having a racing competition for a delicious cake. The birds come across it, like the cake as well and decide to join in. Yeah, that's about it but hey, at least both sides aren't fighting over eggs this time.
The game is a one lap sorta downhill racer where you guide your selected character in handcrafted carts to make it to the finish line. The modes are as followed
- Race: Standard racing, beat the other opponents and try to finish in the top 3
- Vs: A one on one race with a randomly chosen character. Unlike other modes, you don't have to qualify for this one. Though the higher the difficulty you choose, the faster your opponent will be.
- Time Boom: A solo race where you try to beat the clock, avoiding obstacles in your way.
- Fruit Splat: A race done against pig opponents. The object isn't to win it rather to smash the allotted fruit before your reach the finish line. The pigs however can do it too.
- Champion Chase: A one-on-one race against a certain character. You must beat them three times, after which they can be recruited for your character selection.
The more races you win, the more coins you get to upgrade your ride and qualify for other events. There's also challenges once the main modes (save Vs and Champion Race) are beaten five times.
An interesting thing about the game is that it's more based on character then it is the carts as they all share the selected cart before hand. Though each character has their own special move, which make for some good strategy on who to use for certain races. The game was released on Dec 11 2013 for iPods and Android and Dec 24 for Kindle Fire and is free to play. The game also supports the Telepods (first seen in Angry Birds Star Wars II
) where you can buy the toys and place them on your tablets to unlock characters.
Angry Birds Go has the following tropes
- A Day in the Spotlight: Chuck is pretty much the main mascot of this game seeing how he's the fastest bird of the flock. Not surprisingly he's also the final character you have to unlock.
- Bribing Your Way to Victory: Par for the course with a Angry Birds game, you can buy more coins and jewels if you don't feel like racing for them. As well as buying the customized carts. Likewise using the Telepods.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: When you beat Matilda and Moustache Pig in their respective Champion Chase battles for the 3rd time, their ending cutscenes show Matilda kissing the player and Moustache Pig throwing "TMT" at the player respectively.
- Car Fu: Since the cars are made of easily breakable material, it's encouraged to slam into them to wreck your opponents ride.
- Excuse Plot: Everyone wants a cake, let's have a race!
- Everyone Has A Special Move: Wouldn't be a racing game without em. Though unlike most examples they're available from the start though how many uses depends on the character (or how much your willing to spend).
- Go-Karting with Bowser: Or the Angry Birds go karting with the egg-stealing pigs.
- Levels Take Flight: The promptly named "Air" course.
- Nerf: All special powers cannot remove obstacles after Weekly Tournament Update patch.
- Product Placement: For Jenga (Which the obstacles are made from in Fruit Splat mode), Pepperidge Goldfish (A powerup you can use at the starting line that grafts a goldfish shaped booster on your cart. As well as spews out little goldfish during the race) and State Farm (A power-up that, fittingly enough, repairs your cart during the race).
- Spiteful A.I.: Opponents will quickly use their special moves if you get too far ahead (especially in Chuck's case) or they're driving right next to you.
- The Computer Is a Cheating Bastard: Especially on Champion Races where they can spam special moves repeatedly. Also don't expect to beat Chuck on your first try if you get him in vs. mode
- Wacky Racing