was one of the Atari 2600
's launch titles in 1977. It was a series of 27 Side View
, one player or Player Versus Player
, Shoot Em Ups
. It was based on a 1975 Atari arcade game called Anti Aircraft
. Each game lasts 2 minutes and 16 seconds
, and the object is to hit more targets than your opponent.
- Games 1-6: Anti-Aircraft. There are two anti-aircraft guns, fixed in the lower part of the screen. Planes fly overhead. Aim your gun and shoot them down. Some variations have unguided shells, some have guided missiles. Some are for two players, and some have a computer opponent that just fires a continuous stream of shells.
- Games 7-12: Torpedo. There are two submarines at the bottom of the screen, and you can move them left and right. Ships float by overhead. Position your sub and shoot them. Again, some have guided torpedoes, some unguided, and some have the computer opponent mindlessly shooting away.
- Games 13-15: Shooting Gallery. Targets are clown faces, rubber ducks, and rabbits. This time, the player can both move and aim the guns.
- Games 16-18: Polaris. The two players are ships floating across the bottom of the screen. Planes fly overhead, shoot them down. You can control the speed of your ship, but not stop it.
- Games 19-21: Bomber, the reverse of Polaris. You fly the bombers, and drop bombs on ships.
- Games 22-27: Polaris vs. Bomber. The only variations where the players can shoot each other.
The difficulty switches are used to handicap the games, changing the size of your missiles.
Air-Sea Battle provides examples of: