so uh hi. this is an alternate page. yeah.
is made of:
antonio: look. i don't know if this revolution's right for the people. especially not with everything going on.
: *laughs* i think it is, antonio, especially with you at its helm. reach for the moon. if you miss, you'll soar to the stars
elizaveta: was that how it came off?
so, i'm writing this fic. it's for axis powers hetalia
, a fantasy alternate universe
called to the stars
and i'm just going to list down the tropes that apply to it here so i won't forget what i'm writing. this tends to happen, even if i have the story all planned out. uh, things that haven't been written into the fic shall be here, too.
all canon physical appearance tropes apply unless otherwise stated. spoilers abound!
- all love is unrequited: gilbert's crush on elizaveta; francis to arthur
- ambiguously gay: feliks. actually, you can scratch the ambiguous part.
- ambiguous gender: sam, in tune with canon. however, 'sam' is short for 'samantha'.
- ancestral weapon: the hedervary sword, rumored to have been forged by dwarfs or something from other kingdoms.
- annoying younger sibling: hoo, boy. let's see:
- charlotte to francis, despite her being happily adopted
- meilan to yao, underneath all the wangst that's to come. lien, yong soo, and sunan, too, despite the latter two also being happily adopted.
- erik to nikolas.
- natalia to ivan, deep deep down.
- peter to arthur.
- arranged marriage: elizaveta to francis.
- aristocrats are evil: the queen.
- asian airhead: yong soo and meilan. sunan, too.
- the beautiful people: freakin' everyone.
- best served cold: antonio's revenge.
- beware the nice ones: there's a reason the laurinaitis line has stayed on the throne for so long. also, antonio.
- bi the way: francis
- big bad: the queen.
- big brother instinct: you screw with liesel, you cross your fingers, sleep with a gun, and hope vash doesn't find you. subtly, lars towards bella.
- boisterous bruiser: alfred, matthias.
- bow and sword in accord: elizaveta.
- breath weapon: the dragon of the north can breathe ice. the dragon of the south, on the other hand, can breathe fire.
- brother sister incest: natalia towards ivan, as usual.
- camp gay: feliks.
- the charmer: chavdar.
- cool teacher: sadiq.
- corrupt bureaucrat
- crouching moron hidden badass: gilbert. he's a general for a reason. feliks and toris. don't mess with them.
- dance battler: emily cook, liesel zwingli, meilan wang.
- dead little sister: dead older sister for antonio f. carriedo, whose older sister isabel was murdered by government...people...things after she and her brother were made into sex slaves (this gets cleared up later). naturally he's furious and wants revenge.
- dragon rider: the four great mages. jack does impromptu.
- elemental powers: the mages.
- blow you away: lien, while good at all four, specializes in wind magic. matthew williams as well. erik is studying it at the moment under tutelage of yao, and there's still kiku. there's also the wind dragon and its tamer meilan wang.
- dishing out dirt: heracles karpouzi, roderich edelstein. arthur, being the royal mage, is good at all four but specializes in earth. not to mention the earth dragon and its tamer, liesel zwingli
- making a splash: erik, katyusha, eduard. the water dragon and its tamer nikolas paulssen.
- playing with fire: raivis galante, sadiq adnan, bella kappel the fire dragon and its tamer, gupta muhammad hassan
- elemental rock paper scissors: despite there being four elements (earth, fire, wind, water) only earth, fire and water actually engage in this ala pokemon. wind magic is more of a backstage helper, as meilan explains.
- fan nickname: handy guide to the names of nations that haven't been given names yet, in alphabetical order:
- ancient egypt: neferet
- ancient greece: helena
- ancient rome: remus vargas
- australia: jack cook
- belgium: isabella kappel
- bulgaria: chavdar
- cameroon: paul
- cuba: carlos del rosario
- denmark: matthias gylensted
- germania: gerhart beilschmidt
- hong kong: li wang
- iceland: erik paulssen
- liechtenstein: liesel zwingli
- monaco: charlotte beaumont
- mongolia: temujin
- netherlands: lars kappel
- new zealand: sam (yay for gender blender names) liverpool
- seborga: giuseppe vargas
- seychelles: angelique
- taiwan: meilan wang
- thailand: sunan
- ukraine: yekaterina braginskaya
- vietnam: lien nguyen
- flying brick: the dragons.
- five man band: several.
- jack's treasure-hunting team.
- elizaveta's friends at the beginning of the story, arguably.
- the most powerful mages.
- gentleman snarker: ludwig.
- glass cannon: liesel
- gold digger: yekaterina, ivan, and natalia's father, who married their wealthy mother for money, in contrast to the latter who married him for love. yekaterina was born out of wedlock. ivan was born after the couple's secret marriage. the very wealthy arlovskys found out one year later, after natalia's birth..
- the gwen stacy: jeanne for francis. isabel for antonio.
- god save us from the queen
- happily adopted: charlotte, yong soo, kiku (until the chronic backstabbing disorder, sunan.
- heroic bastard: lien
- heroic sacrifice: liesel, for her brother. doubles as taking the bullet. as explained in the back story, jeanne for francis.
- heterosexual life partners: heracles and kiku, although you are free to look at it as a ho yay pairing.
- hooked up afterwards: elizaveta and roderich. the series ends with their wedding.
- i call it vera: not played for laughs. francis's sword is named jeanne, after...y'know.
- its all my fault / my greatest failure: francis really, really, really wishes he'd done something to stop jeanne from dying.
- long lost relative: roderich is a zwingli on his mother's side and is therefore a cousin of vash and liesel, both of whom he was close to when growing up, although he lived in a different part of the country and elizaveta did not know him. things were fine and dandy until his father died and the magic-hating zwinglis find out about his love for magic and banish him. doubles as the reason liesel is terrified of letting her brother know about her earth magic.
- meido: natalia is currently working as one.
- musical assassin: roderich edelstein.
- not in this for your revolution: francis to antonio and lars.
- original character: they exist, with varying degrees of importance.
- maria de rivera (mexico), a mysterious spicy latina residing in bella's village.
- rahela albescu (romania), one of elizaveta's bridesmaids.
- elias hedervary (magyar), elizaveta's father.
- lucia kappel (luxembourg), bella and lars' ojou younger sister.
- isabel fernandez carriedo (portugal), spain's elder sister.
- overprotective dad: elias hedervary.
- parental abandonment: let's see.
- the braginskys' father walked out on them after their mother was disowned by the wealthy head of her family. she subsequently died of grief, leaving yekaterina to act as parental substitute.
- a good number of characters are orphans / half-orphans.
- parental marriage veto: pulled by none other than elias hedervary.
- platonic life partners: charlotte and chavdar; elizaveta and feliks.
- promotion to parent: yao ends up caring for all his adopted siblings after his wealthy father kicks the bucket. yekaterina cares for her younger siblings as well, too.
- razor wind: lien and meilan are experts at this. yao tries to teach erik how to do this.
- red oni blue oni: mathias is red to berwald and nikolas' blue.
- yao is red to kiku's blue.
- meilan and yong soo are red to li's blue.
- alfred is red to matthew's blue.
- gilbert is red to ludwig's blue.
- the runaway: peter. elizaveta, roderich. not to mention angelique
- savvy guy energetic girl: elizaveta and roderich. gender-flipped with lien and sunan.
- secret relationship: elizaveta and roderich. alexei braginsky and irina arlovsky.
- secretly wealthy: you couldn't tell yao is filthy rich by looking at him. most of his siblings all have that upper-class dignity, though.
- sex slave: antonio's dark and troubled past
- sins of our fathers: the zwinglis still hate the braginskys.
- sophisticated as hell: roderich.
- stepford smiler: yekaterina and antonio.
- strong family resemblance: elizaveta really looks like her mom.
- upper class twit: gilbert. until you get on his bad side, at which point you'll realize why he's a general.
- unlucky childhood friend: gilbert, for elizaveta.
- vancian magic
- weapon of choice
- wedding day: subverted. elizaveta and roderich's, at the very end, actually goes off without a hitch.
- wind is green
- zettai ryouiki