Trivia: Return to Oz
- Hey, It's That Guy!: He doesn't appear on-screen or have any lines, but it you stick around for the credits, Deep Roy was apparently in the Tin Woodsman's costume!
- Catherine Martel as Aunt Em.
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Billina's The Junk Lady, Tik-Tok's Lt Britain and Jack is Dr. Phil van Neuter.
- One-Book Author: This was the only film directed by Walter Murch. He has been much more successful as a film editor though.
- What Could Have Been: Walt Disney bought the rights to some of the Oz books, with the intent of making a movie musical starring the cast of The Mickey Mouse Club. Some of the songs actually aired on Walt Disney Presents before Walt pulled the plug.
- In the books, the Nome King had a magic belt. The was reflected in the original script the Nome King had a magic belt made out of the Ruby Slippers; when he died it was going to turn back to the Slippers.
- Walter Murch was, and continues to be, a very well respected part of the industry, both as a sound designer and film editor. This film was supposed to start his career as a director, but instead swiftly ended it (as of this writing, the only other directing credit to his name is a single episode of Star Wars:The Clone Wars, decades later). This is tragic for fans of the film who can see past the Nightmare Fuel and Misaimed Marketing, as it only goes to show the amount of potential talent and creativity that was lost.
- Word of Dante: Some synopses of the film falsely say Mombi was the sister of the Wicked Witch of the West. In the Ruth Plumly Thompson Oz books Mombi was actually the former Wicked Witch of the North before being overthrown by the Good Witch of the North. In The Marvelous Land of Oz, Mombi was a minor witch, who momentarily developed delusions of grandeur.