- Dawson Casting: Done with the teenagers.
- Money, Dear Boy: Roy Scheider's main reason for agreeing to appear in this film, along with clearing a contract dispute with the studio.
- Troubled Production: Not as bad as the first one, but enough for it to become Universal's most expensive movie up to that point.
- What Could Have Been:
- The studio asked Steven Spielberg to return to the director's chair, but he was completely against the idea of a sequel. He did start to warm up to the idea later, but by then, he had another movie on his plate.
- Spielberg's movie would have been a prequel focusing on Quint's time on the USS Indianapolis.