- Actor Allusion: The novelisation describes Gabe Walker as "Rambo on ice".
- California Doubling: Set in Colorado, filmed in the Italian Alps.
- Career Resurrection: Along with Demolition Man, this film revived Sylvester Stallone's career after a series of duds in the early 1990s.
- Completely Different Title:
- Total Risk (Mexico)
- Total Hazard (Argentina/Peru)
- Infernal Storm (Portugal)
- Low Pressure (Greece)
- In Memoriam: The film is dedicated to Sylvester Stallone's mountain climbing double Wolfgang Güllich (who ironically passed away in a road accident unconnected to the film) and Carolco head Mario Kassar's mother.
- Irony as She Is Cast: Sylvester Stallone partly took on this project in an effort to help him conquer his fear of heights.
- Missing Trailer Scene: In the original cut of the film shown to test audiences, there was a 40-foot jump from one cliff to another that Walker performs. This scene appears in the theatrical trailers to the film. It was cut because test audiences laughed out loud when they saw it and thought it was totally impossible. The clip of the jump was redone and used for a shorter jump off a cliff near the end of the film using computer graphics and special effects.
- Name's the Same: Just how many British credit-watchers were startled to see "Jim Davidson" listed as an associate producer in the opening titles may never be known.
- Stillborn Franchise: Tri Star planned a sequel in 1994, called The Dam, but it never went beyond the development stage.
- Throw It In: The stuffed puppy that falls off the cliff in the opening scene was not scripted but was added at the last minute. Renny Harlin liked the dog so much he bought it so that the audience would have a clear idea of what would happen and how horrific the fall was.
- What Could Have Been:
- The film was originally called Gale Force and was going to feature Stallone taking on terrorists in a coastal town during a hurricane. However, it would have been too costly and difficult to make.
- Christopher Walken was originally cast as Qualen, but pulled out just before filming started. Bryan Ferry was briefly considered for the role, while Renny Harlin wanted David Bowie.
Trivia / Cliffhanger
Trivia items related to the film Cliffhanger