Tear Jerker / Tsukihime
"...Why? That's fine. I was okay with the way I was. If you were happy, then I was happy. I-I was always protected by you, so...I was always happy.."note
I see...I guess it was only an illusion after all. It hurts. That's why...I wanted to become a doll...
If one is softhearted enough, Tsukihime
seems to run
on these, with each route having one or two. Quite appropriate for a story focusing on death as a central theme.
- Roa kills Arcueid by cutting her in half, and watches as she bleeds out in Shiki's arms. The sheer power of Arcueid's last request, a simple kiss rather than the life energy that would allow her to regenerate, makes this one of the most moving parts of the entire game. The fact that Roa took a flying leap over the Moral Event Horizon by killing Arcueid makes the following "World of Cardboard" Speech and Crowning Moment of Awesome from Shiki even more badass and memorable.
- The Manga's rendition of that scene and the following ending count as well. Arc's farewell is pretty poignant, and poor Shiki's reaction is likely to mirror the reader's.
- Arcueid's True Ending: Tsukihime (Moon Princess)
You really are kind, Shiki. Yeah, I knew coming here to say goodbye was a good thing. I love you, Shiki. Your honesty, how you are always spaced out, how I'm the only one you yell at, how you always look forward to the future... I love all of you. So please, keep living like that, okay?
- Satsuki's story. She happens to be at the wrong place at the wrong time and gets bitten by SHIKI. She becomes a vampire and targets Shiki in order to make him into a vampire so that they could be together forever. If the player makes the correct choices, Shiki is about to get bitten by her, until he recalls his love for Akiha, giving him the strength to kill Satsuki.
I killed her. I wanted to save her. I even said I would save her. But in the end...I killed her to save myself.
- Akiha's Normal Ending: Distant Reed Warbler. SHIKI is dead, but Akiha is a mindless monster that feeds regularly on Shiki's blood. Poor Shiki has nothing but wait until she returns to her old self again, which seems pretty unlikely.
Even if Akiha's eyes are not staring at anything, I'll keep smiling until the end of the world. So that one day, when Akiha wakes up I would be able to greet her like it was another normal day and say hi.
- A mild moment, but Akiha seems to be genuinely sad after killing SHIKI. This is pretty harsh on its own, since she showed nothing but contempt towards him over the years for being a Creepy Child, inverting, and ultimately killing Shiki.
- Not so noticeable, but in the manga, she actually hesitates about killing him and keeps a photo of them as kids together with Shiki.
- Shiki returning Kohaku's ribbon and saying that he remembers their promise, causing the poor girl to shed Tears of Joy.
I don't have the right, but thanks. I really was happy that you waited here for me.
- Akiha's breakdown after being defeated by Shiki. She confesses that she knew Kohaku's Batman Gambit to destroy her family and played along out of guilt. She asks Shiki and Kohaku to kill her, only to a tearful Kohaku making her snap out of it.
It is because I like you, Akiha-sama. No matter how much you hate me, I always want to serve you. So Akiha-sama, if you feel sorry for me at all, please don't die. If you die like this, I will go back to being the Kohaku from before.
- Young SHIKI has just been posessed by Roa and he fears that he will invert. So he asks his best friend to give him a Mercy Kill if he ever inverts, since as a Nanaya he can easily kill things. Shiki refuses to do it, because they're friends. When the time comes and SHIKI inebitably inverts, Shiki decides to Take a Third Option and protects Akiha at the cost of his life.
I didn't want it to dissapear...I didn't want it to become just a memory...I didn't want to kill it, but...but in the end I...
- Ciel's backstory, which is expanded. We see how Roa possesed her, forced her to kill her parents and how she was found and tortured by the Church, until they decided she'd be more useful as a Burial agent. Afterwards, Ciel is shown as completely broken and resigned.
- After Akiha reveals to Shiki the truth about him and his connection to SHIKI, Shiki sympathizes with his former friend's situation, cursing Roa for turning him into a monster. Cue a image of Shiki happily drinking tea with Akiha and the maids as SHIKI is lying alone in the basement.
- The sidestory Dawn. A young woman, Maiko Yamase happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and gets devoured by Nrvqsr Chaos, but she gains some of his powers. She wanders around the town mindlessly and just remembers who she is after seeing a family photo. Not wanting to harm anyone, she ends up dying at the hands of Shiki, unaware of anything other than her nature as a vampire and dies happily in her sister Akemi's arms. In her sister's birthday, no less!
- Red Demon God. After living an empty life as a killer, Kiri Nanaya finds some joy in his life after his son Shiki is born. However, he and his clan are killed that fateful day by Kishima Kouma. The final scene shows little Shiki waking up as he wonders where his father is and walks towards the forest in order to look for him...
- Kouma's backstory is also pretty sad.
- Drinking, Dreaming Moon is pretty heartwarming because Shiki and SHIKI discuss past and present on friendly terms. However, Shiki is crying the whole time as they talk, because he believes everything to be All Just a Dream, because the real SHIKI was Killed Off for Real, feels guilty for all the crap he put on him before he died and still believes SHIKI resents him. This is pretty terrible on its own, since it shows that despite all the hell that they went through after SHIKI's inversion, Shiki still cares about him and considers him as his friend.
Shiki: Will we meet again?
SHIKI: Who knows? Won't we? If this is a dream, then we can meet again soon. But if this is real...then it'll have to wait until you die.