Tear Jerker: Breath of Fire IV
- Nina's sister/Cray's betrothed, Princess Elina. Thanks to many nasty experiments, she's been turned into a god-like monster. It's not perfect though, and she's in extreme pain. You start a quest to find the only weapon that can injure gods, and Cray has to mercy kill her. Combined with the Mad Scientist pulling a Karma Houdini and you've got tears and anger. It's even worse when you realize this (probably) is a prequel, where the Mad Scientist perfected his work, and Big Bad IS a god-like monster.
- It causes quite the Player Punch for people who have sisters in real life that they love dearly. Nina's narration of "I knew that I would never see my sister again" nearly broke this Troper.
- There is also Fou-Lu's companions, who all die in one shape or another to help him escape from The Empire. The boar who bludgeons itself against a rock blocking a secret passage was pretty moving. But the farm girl who tended to Fou-Lu when he collapsed in her village and blocked the door and stalled for time when soldiers investigated her home to give Fou-Lu time to escape was really bad. Then they captured and sacrificed her to powerup a nuke they droppped on him. Aww man.
- Ershin's last stand against the forces of the Empire. Yes, my tin-can friend...that was an appropriate time to laugh.
- And the massacre of the Chek inhabitants, especially in the manga adaptation.
- As above, finding out what happened to Elina and her fate.
- Ershin's last stand against the forces of the Empire, which is Up to Eleven. Yes, my tin-can friend...that was an appropriate time to laugh.
- The massacre of the Chek inhabitants was bad enough in the game, but in the manga adaption, some of the apprentices have warmed up to Ryu a lot and he grows fond of them. Their deaths trigger Ryu's Heroic BSOD and his breakdown before, during and afterwards is just tragic.
- Mami's fate, being used for the Carronade to try and kill Fou-lu. It sets off Fou-Lu's Woobie Destoryer Of Worlds.
- Mixed with Crowning Moment of Heartwarming, Ryu beating Fou-Lu in their Battle Of The Center Of The Mind by showing him Mami's bells that she had in her hair.