Tear Jerker / Bambi
"Your Mother can't be with you any longer"
Bambi 2 (2006)
- Bambi's dream where he thought he saw his mother, ran up to nuzzle her, only to wake up and realize that he was nuzzling a rock.
- Arguably, Bambi's Disney Death. No one in the audience is going to believe he is dead, but the Great Prince sure did.
- After being told to leave with a surrogate mother, a heartbroken Bambi argues with his father for seemingly rejecting him, basically telling him he wishes he was dead. As he prepares to leave with the mother deer later however, he turns back and nuzzles his father one last time. The Great Prince remains still, but his despondent expression says it all.
- "This is where I first met your mother." Keep in mind that up until this point, the Great Prince has pointedly refused to discuss Bambi's mother at any length...not out of concern for Bambi, but to spare himself what is obviously a great deal of pain. The effort it takes to say this one line is written all over his face, and it is heartwrenching.
- The midquel as a whole conveys the Great Prince as a Broken Ace, shattered by the lost of his partner and attempting to remain aloof and unaffectionate to his son under good intentions, fearing it will ruin his upbringing. Any moment Bambi doesn't get the gestures of love and approval he wants is only more heart wrenching because you can tell by facial acting exactly what his father really wants to tell him. Bambi's Disney Death is sad not from any suggestion Bambi could be gone, but being the pivot the Great Prince finally breaks down and realises how worthless this attitude really is.
- Shortly after meeting Ronno, Bambi's friends are all picked up by their mothers. Bambi just stands there and watches them with a smile until their backs are turned. It's a harsh reminder to him and the viewers that his mother is gone.