Tear Jerker / Bambi
"Your mother can't be with you anymore."
Bambi 2 (2006)
- Shortly after meeting Ronno, Bambi's friends are all picked up by their mothers. Bambi just stands there and watches them with a smile until their backs are turned. It's a harsh reminder to him and the viewers that his mother is gone.
- Bambi's dream where he sees his mother, runs up to nuzzle her, and is reassured that she'll always be with him — only to wake up and realize that he was nuzzling a rock. The particular piece of music that accompanies this scene is simply called "Bambi's Dream", but it features the melody from "Love is a Song." And just in case that wasn't sad enough, it also contains a few notes that sound for all the world like "Whispering Winds."
- After being told to leave with surrogate mother Mena, a heartbroken Bambi argues with his father for seemingly rejecting him, basically telling him he wishes he was dead. As he prepares to leave with Mena later, however, he turns back and nuzzles his father one last time. The Great Prince remains still, but his despondent expression says it all.
- Arguably, Bambi's Disney Death. No one in the audience is going to believe he is dead, but the Great Prince sure did.
[Bambi falls off a rock down a slope] Great Prince: BAMBI
- "This is where I first met your mother." Keep in mind that up until this point, the Great Prince has pointedly refused to discuss Bambi's mother at any length...not out of concern for Bambi, but to spare himself what is obviously a great deal of pain. The effort it takes to say this one line is written all over his face, and it is heartwrenching.
- The midquel as a whole conveys the Great Prince as a Broken Ace, shattered by the lost of his partner and attempting to remain aloof and unaffectionate to his son under good intentions, fearing it will ruin his upbringing. Any moment Bambi doesn't get the gestures of love and approval he wants is only more heart wrenching because you can tell by facial acting exactly what his father really wants to tell him. Bambi's Disney Death is sad not from any suggestion Bambi could be gone, but being the pivot the Great Prince finally breaks down and realizes how worthless this attitude really is.