- Jane admitting that she wishes Lester cared about her as much as Angela.
- Lester's death and final monologue. What's especially sad about it that he died just after he overcame his lust and became a better person.
- Ricky saying goodbye to his mother before leaving home.
- Barbara's whole family just abandoning her has had to have been the saddest part of the entire film for this troper.
- Lester almost managing to get through to Carolyn by reminding her of their younger, happier days together, only for her to be distracted by trivial materialism and start fighting him again.
Lester Burnham: I'm only trying to help you!
- It's pretty sad that, despite how close they used to be, Lester's last words to Jane are, "You'd better be careful Jane, or you'll end up a real bitch, just like your mother!" his expression after she leaves implies he feels bad about what he said, but he never gets to apologise.
- The flashbacks to when the Burnham's were a lot happier.