Series: The LA Complex
Series about young performers trying to make it big in Hollywood, all living in a converted motel called the Deluxe Suites (or "Luxe for short), produced by Epitome Pictures (the people behind Degrassi and Instant Star).
Tropes applying to this series:
- The Alleged Car: Abby's mid-90s Honda Civic in the Pilot. Partly her fault; it has a huge pile of unpaid parking tickets and still sports Ontario plates six months after she arrived in L.A. so no surprise it gets booted and is never seen again.
- Bishōnen: Nick. Joe Dinicol's 28 and this is his first post-teenage role.
- Black Best Friend: Discussed by Raquel, who thinks it's unrealistic.
- California Doubling: Inverted. Mostly shot in Toronto.
- Church of Happyology: The Church of Scienetics gets involved at one point. There's a reference to "Nexu" (pronounced knee-zoo).
- Expy: Abby's basically Manny Santos, down to the same actor and her boyfriend back in Toronto being a mechanic.
- I Just Want to Be Special: All the major characters want to be actors or other performers.
- Old Media Playing Catch-Up: Subverted. It's been renewed on the strength of online views at TheCW.com
- Self-Harm: Connor poured boiling water on himself, deliberately crashed his car and set his house on fire. His sister used to cut too.
- Shout-Out: Tariq's first job in the music industry? Coming up with beats for an upcoming Drake project.
- Stage Mom: Beth's a stage older sister to Simon.
- Stylistic Suck: Nick's standup routine.
- White-Dwarf Starlet: Raquel.-We had a lousy timeslot.