Series: Cuna De Lobos
Literally "Den of Wolves", Cuna de lobos is a popular Mexican telenovela that ran from 1986 to 1987. It starred María Rubio as ruthless matriarch Catalina Creel, along with Gonzalo Vega and Diana Bracho as the main couple.The Larios family is the head of giant pharmaceutical company Lar-Creel. In order to insure that her son inherits the family fortune, matriarch Catalina Creel fakes an accident involving her stepson to manipulate him. One day, however, her husband Carlos tells her that he knows she is faking her blindness and is going to write her out of the will and reveal her secret. She poisons and kills him before he is able to alter the will. After a quick funeral without an autopsy, it is revealed that no one can inherit his fortune until they have a son first. Catalina's son Alejandro is married, but his wife is infertile, while stepson José Carlos is a bachelor. Catalina commits several crimes to insure that her son will receive the inheritance.In the tradition of popular telenovelas, it has been remade a few times to varying success and has been endlessly parodied.
The novela contains examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Catalina's treatment of José Carlos ever since the accident.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Catalina, for sure.
- Downer Ending
- Driven to Suicide: Catalina after she knows Alejandro is dead.
- The '80s
- Electrified Bathtub: In one of the most famous scenes, Catalina gets rid of Inspector Suárez by pushing him to the pool and then throwing a lawnmower in afterwards.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: For all of the atrocities she does, you can clearly tell Catalina loves Alejandro. In her own strange way, that is. It could also apply to Alejandro, who acts like a completely different person when he's with Vilma.
- Evil Matriarch: Catalina Creel, possibly the most famous of this type of telenovela villain.
- Eyepatch of Power
- Faking the Dead: Bertha Moscoso does this to escape a certain death
- Foreign Remake: Spain made its own version in 2002, titled La verdad de Laura with the help of Televisa. In this version, the mother was paralyzed rather than blinded in one eye.
- Foreshadowing: A couple of episodes before Suarez' death you can see the camera ocasionally focusing on a lawnmower for apparently random reasons.
- Murder by Mistake: Catalina accidentally kills Alejandro and Vilma by provoking a plane crash that was originally meant for José Carlos and Leonora.
- Obfuscating Disability
- Perfect Poison: The substance Catalina uses to get rid of Carlos and Gutiérrez.
- Pillow Pregnancy: Vilma uses this while Leonora is the one pregnant so they can steal her baby during childbirth.
- Plot-Triggering Death: The death of Carlos Larios brings Leonora to the lives of the Larios family and most of the events that happen afterwards are closely related to it.
- Tampering with Food and Drink: Catalina slips poison in Carlos' drink to get rid of him on the first episode.
- Telenovela: Duh.
- The Remake: Televisa made a remake in 2011 called Por derecho de sangre. It was Cut Short at 13 episodes because of its high production costs.
- The Unfavorite: To say José Carlos was this to Catalina is a bit of an understatement.