Hive Berlin's Banner
"Humans are Bullshit!"
— Neuroi of Hive Core 206, Earth.
It is January, 1946. For six years humanity has battled against the alien invaders known as the Neuroi. Where conventional weapons fail, the greatest successes are guaranteed by the Witches, young, magic using girls in Strikers. The most famous of the witches, the members of the 501st Joint Fighter Wing, have won another victory over the Neuroi in Gallia.
This is not their story.Neuroi Quest
, is a Quest on the Spacebattles BROB/Sufficient Velocity Quests Forum set in the Strike Witches
universe where you are in control of one of the few remaining Neuroi hives on the planet after the destruction of the Super Hive by Yoshika Miyafuji at the end of of the Strike Witches
anime. As such, you must fight to survive in a world where you are the main antagonist against the forces of humanity.
- Action Girl: The Witches.
- Alien Invasion: Main premise that started the whole series.
- Aliens Are Bastards: General consensus among humanity Though there are a few exceptions like the people the Neuroi rescued from Unit 731.
- Aliens Never Invented the Wheel: The Neuroi are completely shit when it comes to anything that deals with Kinetics.
- Always Accurate Attack: What lasers turned into once Hive Berlin got done with them.
- Bizarre Alien Biology: There are a lot of things different between the Neuroi and Humans.
- For one, Neuroi don't need to eat. This leads to a pretty big problem when Hive Berlin is in charge of caring for human captives. He's come a long way from just feeding them tasteless nutrient sludge. He's even learned to cook, though this is more through replicator technology than actually doing anything humans would consider cooking.
- Another, is that Neuroi don't need constant stimuli to not go insane. So he's quite perplexed when the witches he puts in solitary confinement begin to get a little stir crazy.
- But for Me, It Was Tuesday: The Neuroi have mined out or destroyed a Lot of planets and races either through collateral damage in their war with the Fahrong, mining worlds dry, or wiping out the planet because of Neuroi Doctrine.
- Came from the Sky: How the Initial Neuroi Invasion happened.
- Crapsack Galaxy: The universe the quest takes place in is Not a happy place. 68% of the galaxy has either been wiped out or mined as resources in the Universal War between the Fahrong (Rock People) and the Neuroi (Robots). And there are apparently worse horrors out there.
- Darker and Edgier: This isn't anywhere close to the original happy and cheery fanservice loaded anime in tone.
- Forever War: Battle between the Neuroi(robot people) and the Fahrong (rock people).
- Game Breaker: What the Neuroi generally think magic (AE) is and the major reason why Humans have fought the Neuroi so well despite the tech disparity.
- Homing Lasers / Roboteching: One of the first improvements Berlin works on. They are currently accurate enough that human planes have no hope and the stunts Witches used to pull are no longer enough.
- Humans Are Bastards: What Fuso did to the people in Unit 731
- Humans Are Special: Out of all the races the Neuroi have found in the universe. Humans are the only race that can produce Ambient Energy (Magic) continually in such large amounts just by existing. It's also the reason why Earth isn't a lifeless husk yet despite all the AE the Neuroi have mined out.
- Humans Are Warriors: Humans have killed off nearly every Neuroi Hive on the planet, despite the large initial technology gap.
- Humanity Is Insane: General consensus among the hives is that Humanity is Crazy. And Cheaters.
- Insignificant Little Blue Planet: What the Neuroi Nation thinks about Earth. Of course, then the Neuroi of Earth discovered that Humans Are Special. Though this information hasn't been shared with the rest of the Neuroi Nation.
- Kill Sat: What the Neuroi developed once it became apparent Hive 302 was coming.
- Lensman Arms Race: The race between the Humans and the Neuroi of hive 206 to remain on top.
- Mechanical Lifeforms: The Neuroi of course.
- Mook Horror Show: The Neuroi are subjected to this during the Battle of Berlin where the humans turn into half-undead magical berserkers.
- Moral Event Horizon: When everyone finds out exactly what Fuso Unit 731 is.
- Naval Blockade: Once Hive Atlantic started moving, this is basically what he started doing to Europe.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Unfortunately for the 501st, and Yoshika Miyafuji in particular. Destroying the Super Hive actually made the remaining Neuroi More competent.
- No Recycling: Averted. The Neuroi can salvage pretty much anything from battle and use it for resources.
- Orbital Bombardment: It's a really good thing for Humanity that non-military Neuroi groups are forbidden from using this.
- Planet Looters: The Neuroi (and to a slightly lesser degree, the Fahrong) do this to any planet that has Ambient Energy. Unfortunately for everyone else, Ambient Energy can only be found on planets that support life and once a planet runs out of AE, it dies. Luckily for Humanity, Humans Are Special.
- Pointy-Haired Boss / General Failure: The Super Hive, who is responsible for only single Neuroi ships being sent to fight the humans at any one time, the capture of Neruoi tech by the humans, and is ultimately responsible for the death of at least twenty hives. Which of the two tropes he is is subject to interpretation, since while he was in charge of the invasion of Earth, by Neuroi standards the "invasion" is just a civilian Mining operation. Either way, his death is generally considered to be the single best thing to happen to the Neuroi, especially since it let Hive Berlin take over.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: The remaining Neuroi hives are pretty much this. Unexpectedly, they've done a lot better now than when they had a full mining company. Of course, a lot of this is due to not having to listen to the incompetent Super Hive anymore.
- Ridiculously Fast Construction: How the Neuroi remain competitive in the war against the Humans and the Fahrong.
- Robot Master: The Neuroi hives naturally, since they build numberless hordes of Mecha-Mooks for battle.
- Rousing Speech / Pre-Asskicking One-Liner: Towards the end of the Battle of Berlin one Karlsland officer starts yelling.
"Soldiers of Karlsland! Look around you! Do you see what these invaders have done to your homeland? Look! Look at the glorious legacy the Fatherland has given you! All ruined, all destroyed by the Neuroi! They have slaughtered us! They have murdered your fathers, your mothers, siblings, sons, daughters, infants in the mother's womb! Ancient monuments, sacred cities, priceless memories! All of Karlsland, RUINED!"
"We are homeless, damned, and now doomed! But we still have one thing! YOU ARE SOLDIERS OF MANKIND, AND YOU WILL NOT LET THESE INSULTS, THESE BARBARIC CRIMES, GO UNAVENGED!"
"FIGHT! FIGHT TO YOUR LAST BREATH! FIGHT UNTIL YOUR BODY IS A RUIN!"
- Ship Tease: Between Berlin and Vladivistok. Apparently after he saved her from the Joint invasion from Orussia, Gallia, and Britannia. She repays the favor though.
- Sufficiently Advanced Alien: While the humans think the Neuroi are "invading". It's actually just a small time, Civilian, mining operation to get resources for the Neuroi Nation. The Neuroi military have been stated to have weapons that casually shatter planets and warp reality.
- The Dreaded: The Fuso army has horror stories about the Ghost Queens of Inchon for very good reason.
- The Right of a Superior Species: Unfortunately for humanity, and any other species not on the Fahrong and Neuroi's tech level. This is the general way they treat lesser species. Of course, there has been a growing movement in the Neuroi Nation that believe the Neuroi don't have to be Genocidal Assholes. The Hives of Earth seem to be adopting this viewpoint for both a pragmatic and ideological reason.
- Villain Protagonist: The main characters are the Neuroi. This is a given. That said, they do seem to be sliding more and more towards being Anti-Heroes as time goes on.
- Weaksauce Weakness / Kill It with Water: Most Neuroi can't stand H2O and refer to Earth's oceans as "The Liquid Death." Averted by Atlantic Hive and the Submarine-Bots who love being covered in the stuff.
- We Have Reserves: For the Neuroi, As long as they have resources. They can rebuild their army every month regardless of how many losses they take. A good thing too because the Neuroi forces get wiped out a lot trying to complete their objectives.
- Wham Line: "One by one, Inchons kneeled down to an utterly stunned Song Su-Hyun, Ghost Queen, and the last remaining heir to the throne of Inchon."