Mahou Shoujo Troper Magica
is a TV Tropes
forum RP, started late February 2011 by daltar
, based on Studio SHAFT
's first original anime series, Puella Magi Madoka Magica.
Set in the same universe as the original series (Mitakihara is given a passing mention early in Yamanaka), the RP follows more or less the same premises: several ordinary girls
are approached by the mysterious Weasel Mascot
Kyubey, who offers them a deal: make a contract with him and become a Magical Girl
, and they will each be granted a single wish that is capable of achieving miracles; in exchange, the Magical Girls are tasked with finding and eliminating monsters known as Witches, who prey on unsuspecting humans from their extradimensional lairs. The cast also contains several veteran Magical Girls, who each have their own agenda.
Currently, the RP has three locations that have been prematurely closed due to lack of interest, or time, or whatever other reason: Imaizumi
, and Yamanaka
, and one active location: Kaikin
. All four act as wards to a larger metropolitan area, known as Kyoen City.
The RP also incorporates some fairly large spoilers (as of the newest ward, all the way to episode 12) from the anime series, so those who wish to enjoy Madoka unspoiled should watch it first.
The signup thread is here.
Tropes found in Mahou Shoujo Troper Magica include:
- Improbably Female Cast: Being based off a Magical Girl series, this is to be expected.
- Jumped at the Call: Hanami Kiku, and Alicia Maxwell to a (slightly) lesser extent.
- Killed Off for Real: So far, Yukino and Nanami from Imaizumi.
- Les Yay: Of course!
- Lighter and Softer: Than its source material; the death toll by percentage is miniscule in comparison. Between the wards, Imaizumi has shown a tendency toward Romantic Comedy tropes.
- Kaikin, if for no other reason than being based on the post-Madokami world, which removes a certain significant consequence towards overuse of magic.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Going by the character page, the RP has forty-seven named characters (after discounting Nazuna's double appearance), and some of them also come with their own named NPCs. Even Kaikin alone has a main cast more than double that of Madoka's.
- Meaningful Name: Aside from one particular example that carries over from the series proper, 'Kyoen' is an alternate reading of 'Urobuchi', the characters of which mean 'hopeless' or 'futile' and 'abyss'.
- Mood Whiplash: Especially evident in Imaizumi, which went from a mass suicide in an apartment complex to a slumber party.
- And the day after, having cake on the school rooftop to one of the girls (supposedly) dying.
- This can also be evident between wards; at the time Fujiwara's Magical Girls were witnessing their first death, the Imaizumi girls were going shopping.
- Even Kaikin Ward is not immune to the Urobutcher Effect ™, when the second extended Demon attack proved to have the first appearing Demon be a feint to distract all the Magical Girls so that other Demons could sucessfully drive at least five people in a park to suicide.
- Ordinary High School Student: Most of the girls, before Kyubey shows up.
- Twenty Minutes into the Future: The RP is set in 2014.