Recap: The Simpsons S 24 E 2 Treehouse Of Horror XXIII
In this year's scary installment, a botched Mayan sacrifice in the past brings about The End of the World as We Know It in the future, Lisa keeps a black hole as a pet in "The Greatest Story Ever Holed," The Simpsons catch paranormal activity on tape in "Unnormal Activity," and Bart goes Back to the Future and ends up being the son of Artie Ziff in "Bart and Homer's Excellent Adventure."
- Anachronism Stew: When the Mayans figured out when the world would end, they decided not to worry and that Obama would be blamed for it.
- Black Comedy Rape: Homer is forced into three-way sex with two demons to save his wife. Subverted when Homer removes his clothes and suggests an unnamed sexual technique he wants to try, which grosses out the very demons who want to rape him. (May double as Too Kinky to Torture.)
- Foreshadowing: Bart's time travel to 1974 is foreshadowed by a comic book cover titled "Fantastic Foreshadowing".
- Future Me Scares Me: 1974 Homer is quite disturbed by his future self's appearance. (In fact, this scene provides the picture for the trope's page.)
- Hilarious in Hindsight or "Funny Aneurysm" Moment: Quimby's line about 2012's apocalypse being Obama's fault. 2012 was when Obama was re-elected, and, depending on your political beliefs or opinions about Obama, this is either very good or very bad.
- Kid from the Future: Bart walks up to 1974 Homer and introduces himself as "the unwanted son from the future who kills all your fun."
- Me's a Crowd: To win Marge back, Homer gathers all the Homers from various times in history.
- Safe Word: Homer and the demons agree on "cinnamon". Ironically, it's the demons who shout it first.
- Shout-Out: The title "Bart and Homer's Excellent Adventure" is based on Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, the title of the comic book that foreshadows Bart's Time Travel is "Fantastic Foreshadowing" and Bart's travel to 1974 includes a wormhole that features titles of James Bond films made between then and the episode's present time.
- "Unnormal Activity" spoofs the Paranormal Activity films.