Episode - 7G10
First Aired - 3/25/1990While Marge and the kids go out to eat at a seafood restaurant, Bart comes across a private bachelor party where Homer is dancing with a belly dancer known as Princess Kashmir, takes a photo of it, and passes it around the neighborhood. When Marge confronts Homer about the incriminating evidence, she throws him out for a day, then tells him that she will take him back — but only if he takes Bart to see the stripper and show that the dancer is more than just a sex object for horny men.
This episode contains examples of:
- Belly Dancer: Princess Kashmir. She's dressed as a belly dancer for a bachelor party.
- Clueless Aesop: The episode has the aesop of "Exotic dancers are people too." Not a bad message, but the way it's conveyed is a sheer mess. Bart receives a toy spy camera and secretly takes a photo of Homer dancing with a stripper at a work party. The picture gets copied and passed around his friends at school and eventually makes its way into the adults' world (essentially it went viral before social media was a thing). Mr. Burns finds it and scolds Homer, claiming that he's making the power plant a hostile workplace for the female employees, even though we don't see anything happen to prove his claimnote ; Marge also finds it and is utterly pissed and throws him out of the house. When he begs for her forgiveness, she claims that she's upset at him not for dancing with a stripper, but for letting Bart think it's okay to treat women like objects, forcing Homer to track the girl down to have her tell Bart that she's a person with a real name and real goals and interests. Three problems here: 1. She was mad at him before she knew Bart took the picture; claiming that he set a bad example came across an an excuse to guilt-trip him when in reality she was jealous. 2. At no point was the dancer disrespected at the party. She was hired to perform, and none of the men ever touched her or verbally demeaned her in any way. 3. Homer had no idea Bart was there. If anyone had explaining to do, it was Bart for sneaking into an adult party where he might not understand the context of what was going on, and taking a photo of people in a compromising position without their consent.
- Comically Missing the Point: Homer while coming home from work people keep greeting him and doing hula dances. He isn't aware that the picture of him dancing with Princess Kashmir has circulated (despite there being a copy of the picture right behind Apu), and just figures that they're on drugs.
- Double Standard: In the previous episode, Marge has several dates with a man who makes numerous explicit romantic overtures with her, and she only backs out from sleeping with him while she's driving to a rendezvous to do just that. In this episode, she finds a photo of Homer dancing with a bellydancer at a stag party and acts like he cheated on her, to the point of yelling at him and throwing him out of his own house.
- Early Installment Weirdness:
- Mr. Burns actually recognizes Homer in this episode. Compare to the later episodes where he doesn't. (Though he still had to be reminded by Smithers in an earlier scene.)
- Lenny is voiced by Hank Azaria (sounding a bit like Moe) and Carl is voiced by Harry Shearer in this episode. They eventually swapped roles.
- Given the future antics of Homer, and how Marge had varying reactions to them, but almost never threw him out, the idea that Marge would throw him out for simply dancing with another woman would be absurd by even Season 3, let alone more modern episodes.
- Funny Background Event: Princess Kashmir comes through the door, and a disgruntled dishwasher is seething.
- Green Around the Gills: Bart becomes green-faced at the sight of some repulsive-looking seafood.
- Hypocritical Humor: A father scolds his son for possessing the picture. After sending his son to his room, he looks at the picture again with glee, planning to show his co-workers.
- Match Cut: This happens when Rev. Lovejoy's secretary shows him the picture she confiscated from one of the choir boys.Rev. Lovejoy: This one has strayed from my own flock. His name...[close up to the photo]Smithers: [pull back to Smithers holding the photo] Homer Simpson, sir, a low-level employee in sector 7G.
- News Travels Fast: Bart's scandalous photo of Homer and Princess Kashmir spreads throughout Springfield in no time at all.
- Parenthetical Swearing: In the final act, Mr. Burns reacts to seeing Homer on stage by shouting "Homer Simpson!" with a "Holy shit!" inflection.
- Say My Name:Mr. Burns: Simpson, I'm asking you nicely.Homer: I really don't know, sir.Mr. Burns: SIMPSON!!!
- Sexy Whatever Outfit: The from all nations-women costumes in the show at the Sapphire Lounge.
- Shout-Out: Apu tells Homer that he looks familiar due to seeing him on a viral photograph of him dancing with a stripper. Unaware of the photo's existence, Homer comments "You've got me confused with Fred Flintstone".
- Special Guest: Sam McMurray as Gulliver Dark.
- Turns Green: Bart becomes green-faced at the sight of some repulsive-looking seafood.
- What, Exactly, Is His Job?: According to her career rundown, Princess Kashmir is a stripper for nearly every gentlemen's club in Springfield under many names, such as "April Flowers." She also works as a belly dancer for bachelor parties and can be seen dancing at nightclubs. She is also somewhat of a celebrity in Springfield.
- Woman Scorned: Marge is incensed finding out about Homer and Princess Kashmir, kicking him out of the house.