Recap: The New Batman Adventures E23 "Beware the Creeper"
Reporter Jack Ryder presents an account of the Joker's origin story, broadcast live from the very spot where he fell into a vat of chemicals seven years earlier. However, the Clown Prince of Crime himself drops in and decides to present his own version of the events, dosing Ryder and his crew with laughing gas and then tossing Ryder into a chemical vat in a macabre re-enactment.
Batman and Robin arrive, having seen the Joker's intrusion on live TV. The resulting battle ends with the chemical plant in flames as the Joker and his henchmen flee. The heroes attempt to save Ryder, but find only his burning and dissolving coat.
However, Ryder is alive, if not precisely well. The combination of laughing gas and strange chemicals has transformed him into a powerful, nimble, yellow-skinned wacky man who will soon be known as... (dramatic pause)
the Creeper! He barges into a thrift shop looking for a suitable outfit for his new persona, and then goes looking for the Joker.
Alfred calls Batman with the news of the thrift shop incident, noting that the odd intruder paid for his purchases with Ryder's credit card. This puts Batman and Robin on the Creeper's trail. They catch up to him as he interrogates the Joker's henchmen and hits on Harley Quinn. However, the Creeper's strength, speed, and unpredictability prove to be too much for the heroes, and he escapes.
The story ends in a crescendo of chaos
, with the Creeper chasing the Joker and Harley and Batman and Robin chasing everybody else. Finally, Batman captures the Joker (who begs him to save him from the "lunatic" Creeper) and sedates the Creeper.
In the final scene, Batman has restored Jack Ryder to his normal self with an antidote skin patch. He tells Ryder that the incident will blow over, since nobody else knows the Creeper's identity, and cautions him to keep the patch in place until he returns with a fresh antidote supply. After Batman leaves, Ryder ponders the situation... and the sound of tearing tape is followed by the Creeper's maniacal laugh.
- Abhorrent Admirer: The Creeper, to Harley Quinn.
- Badass Back: Unfortunately, Batman cannot sneak attack the Creeper without getting knocked across the room... while The Creeper is trying to flirt with Harley Quinn.
- CloudCuckoolander: The Creeper, so much so that when he initially tries to calm down and think rationally about what happened after his transformation, his eyes promptly bug out and he lets out a yelp about how much that hurt.
- Even Evil Has Standards:
- After dealing with the Creeper, the Joker actually throws himself at Batman and screams "He's a lunatic!" That's right, The Joker thinks the Creeper is much more crazier than he is!
- The Creeper isn't actually evil but when he visited a thrift store for his costume he actually PAID for the goods instead of stealing them. He did use Jack Ryder's credit card but at least he paid for his goods using his Alter Ego's card.
- Follow the Chaos: Batman and Robin are looking for The Creeper:
Robin: Which way did he go?
Batman: That way.
- Hold Up Your Score: When the Joker throws talk host Jack Ryder into a vat of chemicals (leading to the creation of the Creeper), he gets score signs from Harley Quinn and his henchmen.
- Jumping Out of a Cake: Harley slinkily emerges from an oversized lemon custard pie. And then offers Joker some.
- Mêlée à Trois: Batman and Robin vs. The Joker and Harley Quinn vs. The Creeper. It's as hilarious as it sounds.
- Reading the Stage Directions Out Loud: The Creeper interrogating the Joker's henchmen:
Creeper: Last time we met, you were working for — dramatic pause — the Joker!
- Super-Stoic Shopkeeper: When The Creeper bursts into a tailor's shop, the clerk recommend him a pair of green undies and "complimented" his choice of boa without the slightest twitch.