Recap / The Aquabats! Super Show! S1 E13 "ShowTime!"
The Aquabats are sitting in a garbage dump because the Commander spent all their money on Aquabat commemorative plates nobody wants to buy because of the group's obscurity. They hear about aliens attacking nearby and rush to the scene to save the day and gain some notoriety, but a pair of more competent superheroes, Super Magic Power Man and his wife Lanolin Lady, effortlessly defeat the aliens and save a little girl they were menacing.
The girl snatches Super Magic Power Man's magic amulet to try it out, only to suddenly vaporize both heroes and then grow into a giant robot. It's really the vile Space Monster M, who begins destroying the nearby city with no one to stop him. Despite their own desire to flee in the face of such a terrifying enemy, the Commander commits the group by getting Crash angry enough to grow and attack Space Monster M. Surprisingly, the Aquabats rise to the occasion and through teamwork they steal the magic amulet and blow up Space Monster M. With the last of his strength he hurls the Battletram with the unconscious Aquabats into space...
- The Ace: Super Magic Power Man and Lanonlin Lady...for about two minutes.
- And This Is for... ...the children!
- Bald of Evil: Space Monster M.
- Book Ends: The cartoon in the first episode opened with the Aquabats awakening after the Battletram was thrown into space by Space Monster M, which is how the live-action part of this episode ends. The cartoon segment of this episode ends with the Aquabats being trapped in a time loop by the Time Sprinkler and finding themselves playing the pool party they were at at the beginning of the first episode.
- Darkest Hour: The Commander wastes all the teams money on easily broken merchandise and the group considers splitting up before deciding to try one last mission.
- Determinator: After Space Monster M kills Super Magic Power Man and Lanolin Lady, the other Aquabats want to run away like everyone else. The Commander's the only one who wants to actually stick around and act like a superhero. Badass Normal indeed.
- Humongous Mecha: Space Monster M is a giant floating head that rides in one of these.
- Let's Get Dangerous!: Despite the silliness of the whole rest of the season the 'bats manage to get it together and save the world from a very powerful and dangerous villain when it really counts.
- Mythology Gag: Two of the other second-string heroes we see, Chainsaw and Catboy, were former members of the real-life Aquabats. With the way they act toward each other they might even have been in the show, if it was actually interested in exploring its past anyway.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: After Crash turns giant, he doesn't fight Space Monster M. He clobbers him.
- Think of the Children!: The Bat Commander points out to Crash that children across the planet are likely crying about seeing Super Magic Power Man and Lanolin Lady die. Crash doesn't take it well.
- Took a Level in Badass: The Aquabats. They make use of skills they've had the whole series, but are up against an opponent they seem to have no chance against.
- Wham Episode: We go from the mostly comedic villains who don't pose much actual threat of other episodes to one that flat-out murders other superheroes and then starts laying waste to major cities with ease.
- The Worf Effect: Super Magic Power Man and Lanolin Lady are introduced just to show how dangerous Space Monster M is.